Peanut butter is a childhood favorite of every kid and there used to be only two choices to make: crunchy or smooth. I prefered the interesting texture crunchy peanut butter added to my PB&J sandwiches, while my brother insisted on no crunch. Now, a whole new PB era is upon us with the creation of powdered peanut butter (PPB?). What is this new form of everyone's favorite spread, and is it better for you than regular peanut butter?

What is it?

cereal, wheat, corn, sweet, coffee, milk
Kevin Kozlik

Powdered peanut butter is made up of ground peanuts that have been pressed to remove the oil. What is left is the regular amount of protein for a serving of peanut butter (around 7g) with a lot less calories (70cal) and fat (2g). To imitate regular peanut butter, just stir in water until it becomes a paste-like consistency. You can also add it to shakes, overnight oats, and more!

Regular PB

Regular peanut butter is known for its oily and rich texture, regardless of it being crunchy or smooth. A jar of Trader Joe's peanut butter that my family gets gives 200 calories per serving, with 15g of fat and 8g of protein. 

Powdered or Regular?

In the end, powdered peanut butter clearly wins for getting more bang for your calories. The same amount of protein in 200 calories of regular peanut butter can be found in only 70 calories of powdered peanut butter. On the other hand, regular peanut butter wins when it comes to texture. Powdered peanut butter tends to be a bit grainy if eaten just plain.

If you want a peanut taste without the richness, opt for powdered. If you're deadset on regular PB, go for it. I see PPB (powdered peanut butter) simply as another option to choose from- you can catch me making an awesome smoothie with powdered PB one day, and then snacking on a tablespoon of crunchy PB the next.