A new and improved way of cooking and grocery shopping has given us delivery services, such as HelloFresh, Blue Apron, and Green Chef. They all claim to be cheaper and healthier than going out. But are they really? I have decided to put it to the test and see for myself.

I found a great deal in February for HelloFresh where a Classic meal plan for two meals a week (each meal containing two servings) was a total of $15.98 (including shipping) instead of the regular $50. I wasn't going to pass that up! 

So I picked two meals out of the seventeen they offered and received my box the following Tuesday! They also have different meal plan selections depending on your diet. I selected the Chipotle-Spiced Fish Tacos and Korean Beef Bibimbap.

I typically spend $35-$45 on groceries per week so $16 for at least 4 meals was a good deal to me! 

And so Tuesday rolled around and I was ready to get cookin!

Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur

Each meal was conveniently placed in separated bags. To keep items fresh they have a large ice pack-like item on the bottom of the box. 

Juliette Tisseur

1. Chipotle-Spiced Tilapia Tacos

Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur

This recipe was fairly simple. In all HelloFresh meals, the ingredients are pre-measured and separated into containers. This is convenient, however, it does come with a cost to the environment because each ingredient is packaged in plastic bottles or bags.

Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur

Fish Taco's Review:

Pros:

Ta da! I was certainly happy to be done! Overall, I really enjoyed this recipe. The flavors of the salsa and crema complimented the crispy fish really well. I was hesitant about adding kiwi to the salsa, but it added a pleasant burst of sweetness. Using cornstarch to crisp up the outside of the fish was a technique a was unfamiliar with, but will definitely use again!

Cons:

Even though the recipe was an overall success, I did have some reservations. There could have been more chipotle seasoning for the fish and crema. I did not get the "chipotle" flavors they advertised. Furthermore, it took me about 40 minutes to complete the recipe and I still had a greasy pan and dishes to clean. Additionally, I am not a professional chef, so getting the radishes to be thinly sliced was difficult and they did not have much flavor. Overall, the fish did seem fresh, however the vegetables not so much.

Korean Beef Bibimbap

On to the next recipe!

Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur

I cooked the ground beef in the same pan as the vegetables and added the soy sauce mixture, ginger, and garlic.

Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur
Juliette Tisseur

Korean Beef Bibimbap Review:

Pros:

This complete and flavorful dish was easy to make and delicious. I enjoyed learning new cooking skills by peeling the carrots in a wide noodle style and adding a pickled scallions sauce on top of the final dish. This dish also lasted me a while. I was able to make about 4 meals worth with all the ingredients I had. 

Cons:

One negative aspect about the meal is that the vegetables did not feel very fresh and it called for too much sesame oil for my taste. For the sauces I would mix the ingredients little by little, so you can have the ability to taste it to your liking.

The Big Question: Was it Worth it? Is it College Student Friendly?

Budget friendly?: NO (unless you find a good deal!)

Convenient? : YES

Overall taste of the dishes?: Because you get to choose what you eat, I found it to be somewhat accurate to the description they gave for both meals.

Would I try again?: Right after I ordered the product I canceled my subscription or else it would charge me for the next week. I could have easily reactivated my account after trying out the recipes, but I was not extremely impressed (especially when you take the price into consideration). However, I can still look at all their recipes and go by the ingredients myself for cheaper.

Overall, I would not consider HelloFresh a college-friendly way to cook because of its price tag and the time it takes to cook, however, if you want a cute cooking date night or to splurge a little bit for a healthy home alternative I would definitely try it!