Yellow mustard is known for being vegan-friendly since it has such a simple ingredients list (mustard seeds, sugar, water, and vinegar is all that's in it). But what does that mean for other mustards, like Dijon? Anyone who's tasted Dijon knows it isn't your average mustard; it contains ingredients that make its unique texture and spicy profile stand out from the stuff you squirt on a hot dog. Because Dijon and yellow mustards differ in ingredients, is Dijon mustard vegan as well? 

What is Dijon Mustard? 

Dijon mustard originated in the town of Dijon, which is the capital of the Burgundy region of France. Burgundy is known for its wines, so it's no surprise that a mustard made there would contain wine as well. A key ingredient in Dijon is verjuice (an acidic juice made from unripe grapes) that gives the mustard its pungent, spicy flavor.

So, is Dijon Mustard Vegan?

So, is Dijon mustard actually vegan? Unlike yellow mustards, Dijon is not. The verjuice used in the mustard is technically vegan, but the filtering process typically contains animal by-products such as casein (milk protein), albumin (egg whites), isinglass (fish bladder protein), and gelatin (animal protein). 

Some brands found in your local grocery store may contain animal products such as egg yolks as well, and many homemade Dijon recipes call for honey as a sweetener

Vegan Dijon Mustard Recipes

If you'd like to make your own vegan Dijon mustard at home, try this simple recipe. But if you would much rather purchase some at the store, a great alternative is Organicville's Tarragon Dijon Vinaigrette. For more vegan options, check out Peta's official list of vegan condiments

Once you've found a vegan Dijon you like, mix it into this creamy Dijon mustard cauliflower salad. Another great lunch recipe to try is this vegan Dijon "chickn" sandwich with cheese and avocado; you won't even notice there is no real chicken in it. Want something savory to add to your salads? Try this vegan Dijon mustard salad dressing. However you enjoy your Dijon, make sure to read the ingredients list on it before purchasing it to make sure it's 100% vegan.