Is Canadian Bacon just ham? The short answer – no. While the taste, texture, and appearance may look similar, there are several differences. 

The Cut of meat:

Photo by Thomas Vogel on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Canadian bacon comes from the loin cut of the pig, which is located on the back of the pig. This cut is what gives Canadian bacon its nickname of "back bacon." Alternatively, ham comes from the leg or butt of the pig. While the type of animal (pig) may be the same, the location, or cut, of the meat is different. 

Nutritional Value:

Photo by NICHOLAS CAPPELLO on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Since Canadian bacon and ham come from two different parts of the pig, there are a few differences in nutritional value. Canadian bacon overall is healthier than regular ham. There are fewer carbohydrates and more protein in Canadian bacon when compared to ham, and a lower sodium level than ham. Ham contains more Vitamin C and calcium than Canadian bacon, but ham also has a higher calorie count. 

Preparation:

Photo by Swag Photography on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Canadian bacon is typically served as a round circular cut of meat, while ham is served as thick or thin slices, diced pieces, or even as a thick steak cut. Canadian bacon is typically served as a breakfast or brunch item, rarely used for dinner or lunch. On the other hand, ham is often served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

Check out how Canadian bacon differs from American bacon here.