Anyone who’s anyone in Kansas City follows kcplates on Instagram. kcplates has helped the entire city enjoy “KC’s best culinary works, one plate at a time.” With more than 9,000 followers (almost to 10k guys, let’s help a friend out), kcplates has become everyone’s go to guide for navigating Kansas City’s food scene.

We had the pleasure of sitting down with @kcplates and meeting this celebrity in person!

Who is face behind the account which manages to capture our hearts one food post at a time, you ask? Well we we’re not telling you that today. But we will be letting you in on some insider information on KC’s best kept secret. 

How did you get started on Instagram?

I would always take pictures of food and post it on my personal Instagram and really no one cared about what I was actually eating in Kansas City. So I just decided to make a separate account for all my food posts, and just went from there. I never thought it would get this big!

How long have you been on Instagram?

2 years in August!

Where do you get your inspiration from?

I have a super creative friend so she helped me with the name. Once she helped me with the name I just went from there! I also follow a lot of food Instagrams, which are always chockfull of inspiration.

On your Instagram, which do you consider your best post?

The one I took at Genessee Royale! We just had a lot of food and a small table so it just had some great aesthetic vibes.

What do you hope people take away from your Instagram?

I just hope they use my Instagram to help them decide where to go out to eat, especially those people that are visiting Kansas City.

3 Favorite local Instagrams?

@kclocaleats has a great food Instagram and showcase a lot of great restaurants

@annapetrow for food photography, for sure. And I think @shanleycox just has a beautiful Instagram.

What’s your favorite thing about Instagram?

Just the photos! I would rather look at a photo than read something. Like kid’s books, LOVE EM! It’s easy to get something across on Instagram with just an image and a short caption.

Do you use any editing apps?

I just use colorstory! My favorite filter is everyday

What’s your favorite pizza place?

For traditional thick crust pizza—Waldo pizza

And I love il lazzarone for their more traditional pizza

But there are so many good pizza places in KC!

What’s your favorite thing about Kansas City?

Just how friendly and welcoming everyone is! All the food instagrams are so supportive of everyone’s business and very friendly. Like all the breweries in KC aren’t competing with one another they are more trying to help one another.

What’s something you wish people knew about Kansas City?

There’s awesome food, if you come visit. So many cool activities like Nelson museum and they’re always doing some event or activity to get people together.

What’s something you wish more people knew about you?

If I told you, I’d have to kill you…

**We had this interview behind a wall with our backs facing each other, and I could only hear kcplates voice (totally joking…or am I?)

What’s your favorite coffee shop?

I love the vibes of Thou Mayest and Quay Coffee.

Best BBQ in Kansas City?

Ok this might start some drama! I’m going to say Q39, because they are just so awesome!

Go to drink?

A London calling from Julep! It’s my favorite drink

Favorite donut place?

Donuts are my favorite food. Man this is hard. I donated to doughnut lounge’s kickstarter so I can get free donuts. So good thing I don’t live near Westport…

For a classic donut I would say LaMar’s

What’s your favorite dish to make?

A Buddha bowl which is just a modge podge for everything like chick peas.

What are your future plans for your Instagram?

I thought about going into the blogging space. But for now it is definitely just going to stay an Instagram. I just hope to expand and explore more KC restaurants.

What do you do when you're not on Instagram?

I’m a big advocate for Big sister, big brother. It’s just a lot of fun.

What is your advice for someone who is interested in starting a food account?

Be super interactive with other food accounts and other people that are just interested in food. Post often and do something unique to make you stand out. Like someone has an account called KCcheeses and they go around posting about cheese.

Be sure to follow @kcplates to keep up with all the great restaurants in KC?