Fitness guru Kayla Itsines developed a workout for women that encourages “bikini body confidence” and is well-known for its insane results. This consists of the twelve week workout plan (which can go onto multiple twelve week sessions) that goes in cycles of four weeks. Each week, there is a certain amount of low intensity cardio, high intensity cardio (running is best), stretching, and resistance workouts that are recommended, and the numbers increase after four weeks. AKA this is something that calls for commitment (ew gross) and determination (which most of us have very little of). If you’ve ever done this workout, you can definitely relate to these struggles.

What does each workout consist of?

Kayla Itsines

Photo courtesy of blogspot.com

The area in which this workout becomes unique is with the resistance sessions (which are very hard at first and are not recommended for beginners). These workouts have a series of different sessions that work on arms and abs, legs, and the entire body. You may look at the exercises at first thinking they will be easy, but you are dead wrong. The difficulty with these workouts is that it runs in circuits. That means that for 7 minutes straight, you will continue to do the given list of exercises, repeating them until the time is up. You will most likely be out of breath when the timer on your phone finally chimes and want to just collapse on the floor, but you still have 3 more circuits to go. Those of us who are participating in the plan or have completed it know how intense these workouts are and pray for the days we can just do low intensity cardio (who would’ve thought we’d pray for cardio?).

The Results

Kayla Itsines

Photo courtesy of kaylaitsines.com

The best part about this workout is not something you pay for, but it is the community you are able to join. The support of other women not only encourages you to finish your workouts but makes you feel more confident. This workout has been known across social media to yield great results physically, but also cause a drastic change mentally and emotionally. Working out provides the mind with clarity and gives a great outlet for frustration. It also has man other positive effects on your body. Also, my sleeping habits are more regulated and I am more focused in the classroom. This plan literally can help your mind, body and spirit.

It’s so important to focus on living a healthy lifestyle. Often times, routines such as this workout plan are able to create a healthier lifestyle routine that people are able to follow.