It’s late March, time to hang that knee-length down coat in the farthest corner of the closet, a distant memory…right? Not quite, it seems that Mother Nature has a different plan for us this year. Each day, I am rudely awoken from my fantasies of spring as an icy gust of wind practically blows me face-down onto Commonwealth Avenue.

If cabin fever is getting the best of you this six-month-long winter, maybe it’s time to try a little bit of make believe. The weather may not be permitting of a picnic, but who’s to say we can’t pretend the tulips are blooming and the sun is shining, and have a tasty springtime picnic inside?

Step one: Ambiance. Look around for the comfiest pillows you can find. You’ll want some cheerful colors, we are after all, trying to pretend it’s springtime.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Step two: Mood lighting. Your picnic date will be oh so impressed; dining by candlelight is always a special occasion, even if it’s on the floor. (Helpful hint: Battery-powered candles are totally safe to put on the ground, and look just as cozy).

Step three: The most important part—the food! The best part about a picnic, aside from eating in the great outdoors, is pigging out with your hands (or plastic forks if you somehow remembered to pack them), so an indoor picnic should hold true to this tradition. Finger foods play an intrinsic role in making this indoor picnic a success.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Add a note of elegance by serving a charcuterie board, complete with hard cheese, such as this nutty Parmesan, with sausage, olives, a fresh baguette and jam. The best part about this meal is that there’s practically no prep involved. A deep, robust red wine will pair perfectly with the charcuterie board you’ve created, and the romantic set up.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

You can either serve the baguette toasted or at room temperature. Everything else is perfectly ready to serve as is.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

The wait is over for the sweet stuff. Keep it simple and picnic-y by serving up some fresh fruit, like these perfectly plump strawberries, rolled in granulated sugar.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

An easy way to do this is to wash the strawberries, and roll them in the sugar before they’ve dried to ensure that it sticks.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Picnic complete, bon appetit!

Photo by Kristine Mahan

For more picnic worthy ideas, try these: