Alquímico is the Best Bar in South America 2023. Situated amidst the lively streets of Cartagena, Colombia, it is a mesmerizing sanctuary that surpasses the ordinary, securing its rightful place among the esteemed World's 50 Best Bars of 2023. Beyond the praises, this ambient jewel offers an experience that brings guests into a realm where tradition, creativity, and history collide.

Alquímico's allure begins the moment you step through its doors. Housed in a colonial-era building, the bar seamlessly blends the old with the new. The exposed brick walls and antique furnishings are complemented by modern touches, creating an ambiance that is both inviting and sophisticated. Each floor of the bar unveils a new facet of its character, from intimate corners for quiet conversations to lively spaces for those seeking a more energetic vibe.

The bartenders at Alquímico are not merely mixologists — they are alchemists. They somehow are able to transform all the meticulously chosen ingredients into liquid poetry. The bar prides itself on a commitment to sourcing local, fresh, and often unexpected components, creating a menu that mirrors the diverse flavors of Cartagena. My personal favorite drink was The Inquisición, a cocktail that recently graced the World's 50 Best Bars list. It serves as a testament to Alquímico's dedication to pushing the boundaries of mixology.

The Inquisición

The Inquisición is a drink that perfectly encapsulates the vibrant flavors of the city. This distinguished cocktail features a meticulously crafted ginger infusion, lending warmth and depth, complemented by carefully selected spicy peppers that provide a balanced kick. The addition of salt sourced directly from the farm underscores Alquímico's commitment to local ingredients, offering a rustic charm. A splash of fresh lime juice completes the symphony of tastes, bringing a refreshing brightness to this masterpiece.

Aishwarya Sabharwal

The Vibe

The bar's charm lies in its dedication to providing an immersive experience. It hosts live music featuring local talents whose melodies seamlessly intertwine with the vibrant pulse of Cartagena. The music definitely adds an extra layer of magic to your evening.

Aishwarya Sabharwal

The bartenders, dressed to match the occasion, embody the spirit of Alquímico. Their expertise is not just in crafting cocktails but in curating an experience that transcends the ordinary. Approachable and knowledgeable, they guide you through the menu with enthusiasm, sharing stories behind each creation. They applaud you upon the completion of your drink and make your experience there extremely memorable.

In conclusion, Alquímico is more than a bar — it's a testament to Cartagena's rich history, a celebration of its vibrant culture, and a showcase of the city's evolution. Being the best bar in South America is no joke, and Alquímico does not take that lightly. Whether you're a cocktail enthusiast or a traveler seeking a taste of Cartagena's soul, Alquímico promises an unforgettable journey into the heart of Colombian hospitality and innovation.