Summer is finally here and that means that the fun has begun. People are out swimming in pools, going to parties, and just enjoying the nice weather by being outside. But every good thing has a bad element to them, one that we can not fully avoid even if you have bug spray. That's right, I'm talking about mosquito bites. A thing that no one likes to have because people can't seem to get rid of them. However, I just discovered a weird solution to this problem.

Growing up, mosquito bites are something that I quickly got used to since I grew up in the woods. I was always outside playing in the grass and not really caring much for whether I was getting attacked by bugs but it always irritated me how Itchy and annoying these mosquito bites were to the point where it was hard to not scratch at them. That being said, I have always tried to find a solution for this issue that would make tackling these bites easier. Though, it wasn't until I spoke to my mother about this that she gave this new method of healing bites.

Bethany Fontana

" Oh just put some meat tenderizer on those mosquito bites, you'll be fine." For a minute, I just stared at my mom in wonder because I truly didn't know if because of work she was just tired but as my mother started to explain it, it started to make sense. Meat tenderizer is able to break down proteins because it contains an enzyme called papain. Not only that, because of the papain, meat tenderizer can actually break down toxins that are from the bites and help the skin heal. Plus, as a bonus, meat tenderizer helps with the itching as well so as weird as the solution sounds, there are a lot of benefits in using this method.

Knowing that it would be weird, I ignored all the negative thoughts that I had about this in my head and decided to try it. It's really simple, something that will only take about 15 minutes to do and with only two ingredients. First, you want to want to get meat tenderizer. Any brand should work so you don't have to worry about getting a specific one. Secondly, you want to get a small amount of water in a bowl with a spoon so you're able to mix it together.

Bethany Fontana

At first, it may not seem like it is working because it's not turning into a thick paste. However, the paste is under the water. So as you stir and the water gets cloudy, you reach in and pick up a small amount of paste and rub it over your mosquito bite.  The texture of the paste will feel a bit like wet sand or sugar so don't be alarmed and you feel like you messed up. After you rub it on, leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off and going about your day as usual.

After trying the method once, I found that it actually works. My mosquito bite was really bad and because I scratched it a lot, it ended up really red and stinging really badly. But once I had the paste on my arm, the itching feeling ended up going away. But because of the salt in the meat tenderizer, there is a short bit of stinging when the paste is on but it is not bad. I only had to use the paste once because the bite ended healing really quickly.

Bethany Fontana

Mosquito Bites are always an issue that we can not avoid. We run into them almost every day, especially in the summertime. But with the use of meat tenderizer and water, mosquito bites can be healed faster. But it is important to realize that you also need to make sure that you're not fully dependent on the paste. Cleaning the bite normally and sometimes using medicine cream can also help bites heal. Though, if you're looking for a quick trick, meat tenderizer is the way to go.