Anyone who knows me, knows I am passionate about health and fitness. However, I have a major sweet tooth. I found myself looking for something to satisfy my sweet cravings while still sticking to my fitness goals. This lead to me two companies-- HiiT Nutrition and Smart Choice Protein -- who both specialize in healthy cookie dough.

HiiT Nutrition is a company that makes macro friendly, plant -based edible cookie dough. HiiT Nutrition began producing HiiT bars designed to fuel Military Special Forces Personnel, and since then have transitioned into making gluten free, vegan, dairy free and soy free cookie dough.

Smart Choice Protein is a New York based company that transforms classic sweet treats into protein packed desserts. Not only do they make cookie dough, but they also sell pancake, mug cake, muffin and donut mixes. Smart Choice Protein prides themselves in creating confections that are low calorie, high protein and gluten free.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: cookie dough that is “free” of so much cannot possibly taste as good as the real thing. Stick around to see how “healthy” cookie dough stacks up to the classic dessert.

HiiT Nutrition was kind enough to send me 4 flavors of cookie dough to try: Chocolate Chip, Brownie Batter, Oatmeal Raisin and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. Smart Choice Protein sent me 3 flavors: Cinnamon Bun, Monster Cookie, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip. I will be rating each flavor of cookie dough on a scale of 1-10 based on taste.

HiiT Nutrition

Chocolate Chip: 7/10

I started with chocolate chip. This flavor is a classic cookie dough mixed with mini vegan chocolate chips. This flavor is packed with chocolate chips, which is exactly how I like it. Even so, the chocolate flavor was not overpowering and the neutral base allowed for the chocolate flavor to come through. 

Brownie Batter: 6/10

This flavor has a chocolate base with a fudge-like consistency. However, it tasted a bit artificial. The initial bite was tasty, but left a slightly bitter aftertaste. Even so, the consistency of a fudge-like brownie was uncanny. This would be a great addition to a low calorie brownie sundae.

Oatmeal Raisin: 8/10

While I wouldn’t choose this flavor myself (I’m a chocolate girl at heart,) this ended up being my favorite flavor of HiiT Nutrition dough. This dough tastes the most like classic cookie dough. It's filled with warm spices and reminds me of baking cookies on a fall day.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup: 6/10

This flavor has a chocolate peanut butter dough swirled with peanuts. Chocolate Peanut Butter shares a chocolate dough with the Brownie Batter flavor that does not live up to the other flavors. I also struggle to taste the peanut butter in this flavor, unless I get a bite with the peanuts. However, the combination of the crunchy peanut with the smooth chocolate dough creates a harmonious bite of cookie dough that I would gladly eat again.

Smart Choice Protein

Cinnamon Bun: 9/10

This flavor has a cinnamon cookie dough swirled with large chunks of icing. This flavor is also vegan and was recently introduced as a part of their vegan line of cookie dough.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of cinnamon, but this flavor hits the mark. It tastes exactly like a cinnamon roll. When you get a bite with both the cookie dough and the icing, the warm cinnamon spice plays perfectly with the sweetness of the frosting. Smart Choice Protein executed this flavor perfectly.

Monster Cookie: 9.5/10

Monster Cookie has a classic cookie dough base, mixed with multi-colored chocolate covered candies. This flavor is spectacular. Monster Cookie is the perfect melody of sweetness. The dough is not overpowering and lets the chocolate candies shine. I would appreciate a little more chocolate mix-ins because without the bite of chocolate, the flavor becomes more mediocre. That being said, this flavor is as close to perfect as you can get.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip: 7/10

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip has a peanut butter dough with mini chocolate chips swirled in. This flavor, although tasty, does not live up to its name. I struggle to taste any peanut butter flavor at all. It tastes like a classic chocolate chip cookie dough. While this dough is delicious it leaves me craving the peanut butter flavor that is promised.

Final Thoughts

So did the “healthy” cookie dough live up to the real thing?

Absolutely.

Eating any of these delectable flavors will alleviate your sweet tooth and leave you feeling satisfied. Although some flavors were better than others, none of them tasted as though they were lacking because of their nutritional content. I would gladly eat these treats for dessert and would love to experiment with them as toppings. Any of the flavors above would be the perfect addition to an ice cream sundae. This might defeat the purpose of low calorie cookie dough, but it sounds too good not to try.