Americans eat around 17 billion quarts of popcorn each year. This isn’t surprising; it can be argued that there is no better snack, especially for college students. It's delicious, easy to make, affordable and healthier than other snacking alternatives such as chips. Whether it is a study snack, a late-night snack, or a quick pick-me-up between classes, popcorn can be the perfect choice.

The food industry has found numerous ways to deliver popcorn to us. I categorize these types of popcorn into 4 groups - traditional microwave popcorn, air-popped microwave popcorn, pre-popped popcorn, and alternative popcorn snacks. I tried 8 snacks between these 4 categories and rated them on their flavor, affordability, texture, and convenience. 

Microwave Popcorn

Microwave popcorn is a classic and the perfect choice for movie night. An average bag of microwave popcorn costs roughly $2-3, making this an affordable option for college students. While microwave popcorn is easy and quick to make, it is not as easy to bring with you as other snacks. Microwave popcorn will go stale pretty quickly, so it can not be made ahead of time.

Affordability: 7/10

Convenience: 5/10

Texture: 7/10

Pop-Secret (Movie) Butter - While there are many different brandings of butter varieties - such as movie theater, extra butter, butter - I have found that these taste roughly the same. If you want to feel like you are at the movie theater - this is the choice for you.

Flavor: 8/10

Pop-Secret Homestyle - This popcorn “flavor” is the perfect mix of salt and butter. In my opinion, this is the best kind of microwave popcorn.

Flavor: 9.5/10

Orville Redenbacher's Kettle - If you are craving a sweeter treat, perhaps a dessert, this may be the choice for you. I have found that microwave kettle popcorn can never really match the flavor of real, fresh kettle corn, but it can do the trick to curb a sweet craving.

Flavor: 7/10

Air-Popped Microwave Popcorn

popcorn, corn, cereal, salt, kettle corn, caramel, butter, sweet
Kirby Barth

This option is great if you are nervous about the ingredients found in traditional microwave popcorn. Air-poppers such as this one can be purchased off of Amazon. 

My favorite way to make air-popped microwave popcorn is to use Kernel Seasons seasoning. I have tried the Caramel Corn, Milk Chocolate Caramel, Kettle Corn, and Butter seasonings. My favorite is a combination of the Milk Chocolate Caramel and the Kettle Corn seasonings. Simply measure out the number of popcorn kernels you want, add some seasonings and throw it in the microwave. This is also a great option if you want to pop some plain popcorn and add toppings to it, such as melted chocolate or plain salt.

Flavor: 8/10

Texture: 7/10

Affordability: 10/10

Convience: 8/10

Pre-Popped Popcorn

Boom Chicka Pop - Boom Chicka Pop offers kettle corn, butter, sea salt, and cheddar cheese flavors. They can be purchased in family-sized bags or individual serving size which is a perfect snack to carry with you. It is not as affordable as the previous options, but it slightly more convenient.

Flavor: 8/10

Texture: 8/10

Affordability: 6/10

Convenience: 9/10

Skinny Pop - Skinny Pop offers a salted popcorn that comes in a sharing size or individual bags. This is a great option if you are looking for a healthier alternative to microwave popcorn. It also has the pre-popped convenience and is a great snack to bring with you.

Flavor: 6/10

Texture: 8/10

Affordability: 6/10

Convenience: 9/10

Smartfood - This popcorn brand is most well-known for its white cheddar popcorn. It is the perfect option for cheesy popcorn fans. It has the convenience of pre-popped popcorn but is slightly cheaper.

Flavor: 8/10

Texture: 9/10

Affordability: 7/10

Convenience: 9/10

Alternative Popcorn Snacks

Popcorners - Popcorners is a newer alternative popcorn snack. This is the perfect option if you are craving chips as the shape is quite similar. You just might be able to trick your brain into thinking you’re eating a bag of chips. It comes in kettle, sea salt, and white cheddar flavors - to fit any mood you might be in. It can also come in individual bags or a sharing bag.

Flavor: 9/10

Texture: 10/10

Affordability: 6/10

Convenience: 9/10

There are many great options out on the market for this classic snack. No matter your craving, lifestyle, or budget, there is an option out there for you.