I am a candy fiend, so much so that I constantly find candy wrappers in my pockets. Naturally, when I studied abroad in Copenhagen during fall 2019, I sampled a plethora of sweets. Upon my return to the states, I decided I might as well rank them!

First, two disclaimers.

Disclaimer #1: This list contains both chocolate and gummy candy. I recognize that chocolate and gummies are polar opposites, but alas, it's more fun to see all the candy I consumed together.  

Disclaimer #2: Not all of these candies are produced in the country where I tried them, but I attempted to sample candy from each location I visited.  

Here are all the candies I tried abroad.

1. Lion Bar 

Tasted in: So many countries. 

Crisp cereal, caramel, wafer and chocolate... what's not to like? I may be a little biased because I went on this candy expedition assuming Lion Bars would be #1 on account that they have been my favorite candy for years, but considering the sheer number of Lion Bars I ate while abroad and brought home in my suitcase, they earned their spot as #1. 

2. Milch Mäuse

Tasted in: Munich, Germany 

I stuffed the pockets of my Oktoberfest dirndl with Milch Mäuse, that's how good these mouse-shaped cornflake-filled chocolates were.

Ella DeBode

3. Wanted Pops

Tasted in: Pristina, Kosovo 

4. Haribo Pommes 

Tasted in: Pristina, Kosovo 

5. Double Decker

Tasted in: London, England 

6. Catch 

Tasted in: Ennis, Ireland

7. Daim 

Tasted in: Copenhagen, Denmark

8. Bueno

Tasted in: Copenhagen, Denmark

9. Vidal Mega Sour Mix

Tasted in: Lisbon, Portugal 

Not going to lie, I was a little skeptical about the choice of shape for these gummies... they're feet-shaped!! But, they were super sour and chewy! 

10. Alibi Max Coconut

Tasted in: Copenhagen, Hungary 

Like a Lion Bar (#1) but coconut flavored! 

11. Bunte Drachenzungen 

Tasted in: Vienna, Austria 

12. Laviva 

Tasted in: Pristina, Kosovo 

13. Pick Up! 

Tasted in: Marrakesh, Morocco 

Ella DeBode

14. Carambar Minis 

Tasted in: Paris, France

As I said before, I find candy wrappers in all my pockets. But these Carambar Minis wrappers followed me around for literally months. A true sign that they were tasty and easy to transport!

Ella DeBode

15. Lach Gummi Softies

Not just your typical gummy flavors! These came in innovative flavors in the world of gummies, like peach. 

Ella DeBode

16. Floc Choc 

Tasted in: Lisbon, Portugal 

17. Go Fresh 

Tasted in: Pristina, Kosovo

18. Tronky 

Tasted in: Madrid, Spain 

19. Kex (Vilken Hjälten) 

Tasted in: Stockholm, Sweden 

20. Tibi Black Currant 

Tasted in: Budapest, Hungary

21. Milk Burger 

While exploring a grocery store in Budapest, Hungary, I stumbled upon a CANDY SECTION OF THE GROCERY STORE. I found this revolutionary and, of course, had to try this mysterious 'Milk Burger.' I was not disappointed, it was basically a mini whoopee pie! 

Ella DeBode

22. Huestitos 

Tasted in: Madrid, Spain

23. Maoam Bloxx

Tasted in: Copenhagen, Denmark

24. Cigar 

Tasted in: Marrakesh, Morocco 

25. Balisto 

Tasted in: Paris, France

26. Choceur Haselnuss 

Tasted in: Munich, Germany 

27. Pöttyös Túro Rudi

Tasted in: Budapest, Hungary

Along with the Milk Burger, I found Pöttyös Túro Rudi in the candy refrigerator section of the grocery store. I had no idea what to expect but it was kind of like a black current cheesecake tube dipped in chocolate. It was 10/10.

Ella DeBode

28. Tagger

Tasted in: Marrakesh, Morocco 

29. Limited Edition Ginger Cookie Twix

Tasted in: Copenhagen, Denmark (but definitely American)

30. Tutku

Tasted in: Pristina, Kosovo 

31. Dumle

Tasted in: Copenhagen, Denmark

32. Twirl

Tasted in: London, England

Flakey sheets of chocolate all spun together is delicious, but Twirl was up against some real winners in my opinion. Being just a chocolate bar, it didn't ~change~ me.  

33. Yorkie

Tasted in: London, England 

34. Sandwich Bites 

Tasted in: Stockholm, Sweden

On account that Sandwich Bites are bite-sized candy-versions of an ice cream sandwich, I was beyond excited for these. But they fall so low on my ranking because (dare I say it) they were too sweet and kind of grainy. 

35. Polly for a Swedish Fika

Tasted in: Stockholm, Sweden 

"Fika" is the Swedish coffee version of Danish "Hygge" or English high tea. Maybe 'foam drops' covered in chocolate are just not my thing, but I still finished the bag. 

Ella DeBode

36. Scottie

Tasted in: Stockholm, Sweden

37. Japp 

Tasted in: Stockholm, Sweden

38. Tonik 

Tasted in: Marrakesh, Morocco 

39. Nestle Nuts

Tasted in: Vienna, Austria 

Ella DeBode

40. Albeni 

Tasted in: Pristina, Kosovo 

41. Plopp

Tasted in: Stockholm, Sweden

The name says it all.

42. Pikotas

Tasted in: Madrid, Spain

43. Flipper 

Tasted in: Copenhagen, Denmark 

A dolphin-shaped marshmallow covered in chocolate sounds like a fantastic idea, but it was rubbery and the chocolate was waxy. It doesn't make the top of the list.

44. Sport 

Tasted in: Budapest, Hungary

Imagine biting into a chocolate bar only to find out it is rum (I think?) flavored. I was not a happy camper. 

45. Vadász

Tasted in: Budapest, Hungary

Then imagine being so disappointed that you just bit into a nasty alcohol flavored 'Sport' chocolate bar, so you grab one of your other chocolate bars from your grocery store haul and IT TOO is alcohol flavored. That, ladies and gentlemen, is why Vadász is last on the list. 

So, what did I learn from my candy escapade?

(1) Just like you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, don't judge a candy bar by the lack of English on its wrapper. Unwrapping a candy bar that you don't know anything about is a whole lot of fun, as long as you don't have allergies. You never know, maybe you'll find your Lion Bar.  

(2) If you try American candies abroad, like Kit Kat for example, you'll find that they're are not as sweet.

(3) While I love sightseeing, I personally feel like nothing is more exciting than getting to a new city or country and checking out its grocery store. You can learn a lot about a culture from its food and there's no better place to do so than a grocery store.