I don't know about you, but I always get very excited around winter time. However, it's not for the typical reasons you might expect; It's not because of the snow, not because of the Christmas lights and not even because of plain old holiday spirit. No, no. It's actually because peppermint-flavored chocolates hit the store shelves once again.

So I decided to go out and try some of these limited-edition sweets myself so you don't have to go through the trial and error process. If you're candy-cane obsessed like I am, these seasonal releases will surely provide some holiday cheer. 

Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses

chocolate
Aerin Rosenfeld

These have always been and will continue to be my favorite holiday-edition chocolate. They have a perfect proportion of white chocolate to candy cane bits, and the peppermint flavor is just so spot-on. I look forward to seeing these red and white bites in the candy aisle every single year (and I usually walk out with three bags at a time).

Dove Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark

chocolate, beer
Aerin Rosenfeld

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to peppermint chocolates: the proportions have to be just right. While the overall bite was very delicious, I have to say this fell short of expectations. The chocolate element (as is always true with Dove chocolates, in my opinion) was smooth and delicious while the peppermint taste was extremely underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I don't think "the more peppermint, the better" is always true, but honestly, I was left wanting more.

Hershey's Peppermint Bark Bells

Aerin Rosenfeld

I was not expecting this bite to be so minty, wow. Please eat these with caution as these tiny little bells pack a huge peppermint kick. The aftertaste was comparable to post-brushing teeth and chewing a piece of peppermint gum (you know, that super cold rush when you breathe in through your mouth.) The chocolate flavor was completely overtaken by the intensity of the mint flavor. I would not eat again, but that's just me. 

White Peppermint M&M's

candy, chocolate
Aerin Rosenfeld

These peppermint M&M's were a very pleasant surprise. I was pretty nervous to try these since I've never experienced a white chocolate M&M but I have to say my tastebuds are definitely vibe-ing with this holiday-edition treat. They have a sweet, pepperminty flavor but are not overpowering enough to double as a breath-mint. Warning: they are extremely addictive (may or may not have gone through half the bag as I wrote this). 

In the end, Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses will always have a special place in my heart, but White Peppermint M&M's actually gave them a run for their money. Competition aside, I'm going to stock up on both of these because they're so damn delicious. I don't think I'll ever be ready for peppermint season to end.