As a runner, I'm constantly on the go and looking for a protein bar that tastes great, is cost-effective, and is healthy. Two of the more popular bars on the market are Fitjoy and Quest bars. These bars may seem similar, but after trying both of them one brand definitely wins out.

Fitjoy

A photo posted by FitJoy (@fitjoynutrition) on

When I initially tried these bars, the first thing that I noticed was the taste. These bars are decadent, without that sugar-alcohol taste that other protein bars tend to have. They come in six different flavors, with my personal favorites being the Chocolate Peanut Butter and the Frosted Cinnamon Roll. The bars kept me full for hours!

Fitjoy bars contain no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners and are also gluten-free. They do, however, contain soy, which could be problematic for some customers. Each bar contains around 220 calories, with 20 grams of protein and 11-12 grams of fiber. 

The bars are sold at most GNC and Vitamin Shoppe stores, as well as online on their website. The cost is about $28.00 for a box of 12 bars.

Quest Bar

Quest bars are definitely more well-known, and are slightly cheaper at a price of about $25.00 for a box of 12 bars. They also come in significantly more flavors, with a total of 20 flavors to choose from. They're sold in most GNC and Vitamin Shoppe stores, as well as in many grocery stores and online on their website. 

These bars contain no added sugar, and are both soy- and gluten-free. Each bar contains around 200 calories, with about 20 grams of protein and 14 grams of fiber on average. I did notice that because the Quest bars do have slightly fewer calories than the Fitjoy bars, I did feel myself getting hungry much sooner after eating the Quest bars. 

The flavors that I most enjoyed were the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, S'mores, and Blueberry Muffin. However, these bars definitely had a taste that was less rich than the Fitjoy bars, with a chewier texture that some may not enjoy as much. Additionally, I noticed more of a sugar-alcohol taste in these bars as opposed to the Fitjoy bars.

The Takeaway

Both bars contain Erythritol, a sugar alcohol that has a sort of "fake" taste to it. If you're looking for something that masks the taste a little bit better, I'd recommend the Fitjoy bar over the Quest Bar. 

While Fitjoy bars are more expensive, they are definitely worth the price. They have a slightly higher calorie content, but they taste better and have a much better texture than Quest bars do. They have almost the same protein and fiber content, which should keep you full and ready to take on the next few hours of your day.

Additionally, I think the Fitjoy bars have more interesting and inventive flavors, like the Frosted Cinnamon Roll and French Vanilla Almond.

If you're looking for a snack to keep you going until your next meal, reach for a Fitjoy bar for a healthy, satisfying treat.