Hurricane Ida — a Category 4 storm, now downgraded to a tropical storm — made landfall in Louisiana on Sunday, leaving more than a million residents without power, food, or even shelter. 

As federal and state officials continue to assess the damage, the storm will continue its path towards the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys, according to the National Hurricane Center. In addition to flooding and high velocity winds, surrounding areas in the South can experience elevated tornado risks. These intensified and more frequent weather impacts, exacerbated by climate change, can also lead to infrastructure collapse, like what happened with Hurricane Katrina 16 years ago.

Unfortunately, natural disasters disproportionately impact low-income folks, people of color and Indigenous communities, who often do not have the resources to evacuate or board their homes. Here’s how you can help those impacted by Hurricane Ida:  

Cajun Navy Relief

This local nonprofit, founded after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, organizes rescues after natural disasters. You can donate supplies or send money directly to their PayPal.

Mutual Aid Disaster Relief

A grassroots organization centered on equity and global justice, Mutual Aid Disaster Relief is now looking for volunteers to help Hurricane Ida victims. (The organization also has a form circulating for those impacted here.) Monetary donations are also welcome.

The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies

Evacuations are extremely difficult for disabled people. The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies aims to make evacuations safer and easier. Donate here.

United Way

211 is America’s go-to number for disaster relief, whether it be for evacuation routes or shelters. Donate to United Way here.

Another Gulf Is Possible Collaborative

Operated by women of color across the South, Another Gulf is a grassroots organization focused on just transition and recovery. Funds donated will be directly redistributed to Indigenous, Black and brown impacted community members.

Catholic Charities of Acadiana

This branch of Catholic Charities, a national nonprofit, works in Lafayette, Louisiana to provide shelter and relief to the homeless and to those impacted by natural disasters. You can donate money or purchase something off their Amazon Wishlist.

World Central Kitchen

Michelin-star chef José Andrés’ nonprofit feeds hundreds of thousands after disasters or conflict. You can donate here.

As always, be careful before giving; you can check Charity Navigator or Guidestar for reputability in addition to 990 forms. If you notice something suspicious (someone not distributing donated funds, for instance), you can report them to the National Center for Disaster Fraud.