In a city as populous and diverse as NYC, you can get all kinds of food. The selection of East Asian cuisine is especially plentiful, with bustling pockets of options in the aptly-named neighborhoods of Chinatown and Koreatown. But true foodies know that the most authentic cuisine is hidden away in Flushing, Queens, away from the Americanized tastebuds of Manhattan establishments. Here, you can find the real deal to satisfy all your cravings for Chinese, Korean, or Japanese food – all without breaking the bank! These are NYC's best little-known Asian restaurants.

In recent years Flushing has been gaining exposure, but I thought it was worth a bit more attention. I’m not just talking your standard Joe’s Shanghai, Xi’an Famous Foods, and Kung Fu Tea, which have blossomed into established chains all around the city. Although those are all tasty options, I’m here to tell you about the gems that only the locals know about. Take your pick of these best Asian restaurants; there’s sure to be something you’ll like.

1. Hunan House

137-40 Northern Blvd Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Adventurous foodies who want to try wok-cooked, flavorful dishes from the Hunan region

What to Order: Sautéed Smoked Pork with Dried String Beans, Fish in Hot Chili Sauce, Spicy Cauliflower, Pumpkin Cakes, Fried Buns with Condensed Milk

2. Asian Jewels

133-30 39th Ave Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Dim sum aficionados who want a less-crowded (but equally tasty) alternative to Nom Wah

What to Order: Shrimp and Pork Shumai, Beef Tripe with Radish, Fried Dough in Rice Noodle, Egg Yolk Bun, Sesame Balls

3. New World Mall Food Court

136-20 Roosevelt Ave Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Bargain hunters on the lookout for a variety of cheap eats, all in one place

What to Order: Ma La Tang from Stall 6, Taro Bubble Tea from Stall 7, Beef Noodle Soup from Stall 14, Wooden Bowl from Stall 16, Pork and Cabbage Dumplings from Stall 30

4. Hahm Ji Bach

40-11 149th Pl Flushing, NY 11355

Best For: Korean BBQ lovers that want a budget-friendly meal away from Koreatown

What to Order: Samgyeopsal (BBQ), Galbi (BBQ), Bulgogi (BBQ), Kimchi Pancake, Gopdol Bibimbap

5. Union Sushi

36-30 Union St Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Anyone that enjoys a good, fresh piece of sushi (so basically everyone)

What to Order: Salmon Avocado Roll, Rainbow Roll, Onion Crunch Roll, Shrimp Tempura Roll, Small Sashimi Platter

6. The Coop

133-42 39th Ave, Ste 103 Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Late night snackers who just want wings and Korean comfort food

What to Order: Wings, Sweet Potato Fries, Japchae, Spicy Rice Cakes, Budae Jjigae

7. Imperial Palace

136-13 37th Ave Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Family that want to gather together for a standard banquet style, communal meal

What to Order: Egg Drop Soup, Jumbo Shrimp, House Special Lamb Chop, Pan Fried Flounder, Peking Duck

8. Prince Tea House

36-39 Prince St Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Those with a sweet tooth (and anyone who wants to upgrade their Instagram aesthetic)

What to Order: Green Tea Mille Feuille, Red Bean Crepe, Turkey Club, Rose Milk Tea, Oolong Tea

9. The Dolar Shop

36-36 Prince St Flushing, NY 11354

Best For: Hot pot connoisseurs – you can just chuck in anything you want here (they have literally everything)

What to Order: Macau Cuttlefish Balls, Fatty Beef, Seaweed Knots, Yams, Udon Noodles

10. Szechuan Mountain House

39-16 Prince St, Ste G03 Flushing, NY 11354Best For: Spice lovers who are willing to sweat it for some authentic, chili-packed, Szechuan cuisine

What to Order: Beef and Potato Stew, Hot and Sour Soup, Ma Po Tofu, Sliced Pork Belly in Garlic Chili Oil, Fried Corn Kernels with Salted Duck Egg Yolk

So now the secret’s out! If you try even one of these Flushing joints, I’ll feel a little bit like Guy Fieri: East Asian edition. These are the perfect spots for foods to hit the spot in a way that greasy takeout just can't. And with this selection of the best Asian restaurants in town, you’ll never need to squeeze into a tiny Chinatown booth again. Dig in!