Raspberries are one of my favorite fruits to snack on and to cook with. I love how you can make so many things out of them, like jam, cobbler and brownies. But one problem always persists, raspberries seem to always go bad quickly. So, I needed to learn how to store raspberries to keep them fresh.

After doing some research, I have found that there are two main ways to store raspberries. The rinsing method and the freezing method. The freezing method is quite simple as you just place your raspberries on baking tray and freeze them, these will save in the freezer for about year. The rinsing method, however, is a little more difficult.

The Rinsing Method

• Prep Time:15 secs
  • Cook Time:30 secs
  • Total Time:45 secs

• Carton raspberries
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup water
milk, cream, raspberry, strawberry, sweet, berry
Kara Schiaparelli

Go through the container of raspberries to pick out any bad raspberries. Any moldy raspberries can affect the entire batch, so this is important to do as soon as possible after buying them.

strawberry, berry, raspberry
    Kara Schiaparelli

Mix together your white vinegar and water.

#SpoonTip: If you don't have any white vinegar on hand, then you can just heat water to 125° F and use that instead.

beer, coffee, tea
    Kara Schiaparelli

Gently soak the raspberries in your vinegar solution for only a few seconds. This will kill any remaining bacteria and prolong your raspberries shelf life for several days.

#SpoonTip: If you're using hot water, give the raspberries a 30 second soak before taking them out.

cream, milk, strawberry, sweet, raspberry, berry
    Kara Schiaparelli

Lightly dry off the raspberries with paper towels and store them in a container that allows circulation with some paper towels at the bottom. These towels will absorb any excess moisture from the raspberries.

Kara Schiaparelli

Place the container in the fridge, but not in the vegetable crisper, which is too cold for the raspberries.

cream, jam, berry, sweet, strawberry
    Kara Schiaparelli

This will prolong the life of your raspberries by several days, which is much more than its original 2-3 day shelf life. This will give you more time to make raspberry flavored drinks and popsicles, while wondering what the f*ck blue raspberry is.

So, next time you accidentally buy too many raspberries, don't fret. Just use one of these hacks on how to store raspberries to keep them fresh and to get more use out of them.