We are smack dab in the middle of peak hot dog season. According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Americans consume about 7 billion hot dogs, that is 818 hot dogs consumed every second. Talk about Glizzy gladiators. But what about hot dog leftovers? The unequal ratio of hot dogs to buns at the end of a barbecue is frustrating because really, what do you do with a plain dog or an empty bun? Here are some simple ways to revamp the classic meal without getting sick of it.

How to revamp hot dog buns.

Since buns are bread, you can use them in any recipe that calls for bread. Take the sweet route with French toast and bread pudding. Bread pudding recipes specifically call for stale bread which makes the buns perfect for the job.

If you are a savory person, you can use the buns for subs and sandwiches or garlic bread. For the former, it's simple, just like your standard sandwich, add whatever fillings you would like! Try substituting roasted pork for hot dogs in a Cuban sandwich or making a meatball sub. For the latter, spread some garlic butter onto your buns and pop them into the oven until your desired crispiness — it is the perfect side dish to any pasta or soup. For example, there's Korean army stew — a spicy ramen soup with sliced hot dogs and spam, — Korean corn dogs, and Filipino spaghetti — an adaptation of Italy’s Bolognese pasta that's on the sweeter side accompanied with sliced hot dogs.

You can even make your leftover buns into croutons for salads. All you need to do is let the buns sit out for a day, cut them up into small cubes, add seasonings of your choosing, and drizzle them with olive oil, then pop them in the oven for 15 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

How to revamp extra sausages

If you want to stick to American cuisine, whip up the classic “Beanie Weenies.” Cut up the hot dogs into small coins, fry them in butter, and add a can of ‘pork and beans,’ ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire to the mix. Bring it to a boil and voilà! The great thing about this dish is that it is quick and easy to make as you’ll probably already have these ingredients in your pantry.

Another quick recipe is corn dog muffins. It is an easy way to recreate a classic fair food without having to deep fry anything.

If you are constantly on the go, a Crockpot meal would be perfect for you. Try a Cheesy Hot Dog casserole! This recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen combines chili, tater tots, hot dogs, and cheddar cheese to make the ultimate comfort meal.

Lastly, if the thought of eating another hot dog sounds torturous, donating your leftovers to an animal shelter is always a good idea. Animal shelters typically have hot dogs on their donation list to give to the dogs as treats.