I, like many others, have recently entered the world of matcha. While I often find myself craving a second caffeinated drink as an afternoon pick-me-up, I do not want to commit to the jitters that accompany a second dose of espresso. And so, enter the matcha latte.

The traditional Japanese drink, often used in tea ceremonies of the 12th century, has become popular in recent years due to its distinct taste and reported health benefits. Its natural flavor is both earthy and nutty with a hint of bitterness. Additionally, matcha powder is packed with antioxidants, is rich in fiber, and is said to naturally boost metabolism.

In the last several years the drink has become commonplace, being served in coffee shops across the country. Recently, I attempted to make my own at-home matcha lattes.

While my introduction to the matcha world was through Starbucks, Kaldi's, and the like, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I employed a few friends to blindly taste-test three popular matcha powders and determine how to perfect the art of the matcha latte.

Olga Lindner

Powder #1: Chamberlain Coffee

Chamberlain Coffee, started by influencer and YouTuber Emma Chamberlain, specializes in sustainability-sourced and packaged coffee, tea, and merch. Their matcha powder is described on their website as having a "smooth, earthy, nutty flavor."

Mixed with just water, the powder is fairly bitter and somewhat difficult to mix. When we added oat milk, however, it took on a distinctly nutty taste and was perfectly frothy. The bitterness was easily cut by the addition of milk.

Olga Lindner

Powder #2: Matcha Bloom

The second powder in the lineup is another celebrity favorite. As per her website, Poosh, Kourtney Kardashian’s matcha powder of choice is Matcha Bloom’s Matcha Purity Powder. The ceremonial grade powder is said to have a flavor profile of “a smooth balance of fresh vegetables and dark chocolate" with "[a]ftertastes of floral and sweet nuttiness.”

When mixed with water, the drink was quite bitter and more vegetal than the other two powders. Its standalone flavor was more reminiscent of a strong green tea than a traditional matcha. The taste was easily overpowered by the milk, but overall the latte was pleasant, albeit mild.

Olga Lindner

Powder 3: Matcha Konomi

The third and final matcha in our lineup is the Amazon holy grail. One of the highest-ranked powders on the site, Matcha Konomi’s Akira Organic Ceremonial Matcha Powder boasts over 2,700 five-star ratings.

This powder was the most traditional of the three and less bitter than the prior two. When mixed with milk, the flavor remained distinct with notes of sweetness and grass. If you plan to mix your matcha with hot water alone, this powder would serve you best.

Olga Lindner

Overall, Kourtney's favorite came in last due to its bitterness and easily overpowered flavor. However, this product would be great for someone planning to mix with milk and a bit of sweetener, as suggested in the Poosh recipe.

The most versatile powder, enjoyable when mixed with both water and milk, was Matcha Konomi’s product. This one was a standout for me personally.

Chamberlain Coffee's matcha is the perfect pick for someone exclusively attempting to make lattes or looking for a more nut-forward taste. I would be interested in trying the company’s vanilla and chocolate-flavored varieties.

Olga Lindner

I hope this article inspires readers to attempt their own at-home lattes and hone their palates. Happy matcha making!