Have you ever panicked when a waiter asked how you want your eggs? There are so many ways to prepare eggs that it can get overwhelming to know what you want. Whether you like runny yolks or fully cooked eggs, this guide will help you next time you order eggs. 

Scrambled Eggs

vegetable, bread, meat, tomato, corn, egg
Kelsey Emery

Scrambled eggs are cooked by stirring the eggs while they're cooking. They are typically cooked in butter which gives them a delicious flavor. You can add any vegetables or meats to amp up your scrambled eggs or make them into a full meal. 

Fried Eggs

egg, egg yolk, fried egg, omelet
Msu Spoon

Fried eggs are cooked in a skillet or frying pan. Once one side fries, the egg is flipped so the other side can cook. Fried eggs can be prepared 3 ways, easy, medium or hard, depending on how long the egg is cooked for. 

Over easy: the yolk and some of the whites are still runny

Over medium: the yolk is slightly runny

Over hard: the yolk and whites are completely cooked

Poached Eggs

Danielle Clark

Poached eggs are made by cracking an egg into simmering water. They usually have a slightly runny yolk. This is also one of the healthier cooking methods for eggs because it is cooked in hot water instead of oil or butter. 

Eggs Benedict

Audrey Aucoin

Eggs Benedict are one of the best brunch meals. A traditional eggs Benedict is an English muffin topped with Canadian bacon, which is basically ham, 2 poached eggs, and Hollandaise sauce. There are so many varieties of Eggs Benedict so don't be afraid to try something new next time you're at brunch. 

Hard Boiled Eggs

dairy product, sweet, deviled eggs, egg, cream, milk
Caroline Alexander

Similar to poached eggs, hard boiled eggs are cooked in water. The main difference is hard boiled eggs are cooked in the shell. You place the eggs in water, bring the water to a boil with the eggs in it, and then turn off the heat and let the eggs continue to cook for 10-12 minutes. The best part about hard boiled eggs is that unlike other styles of eggs, they can keep in the fridge for a few days after they are cooked. 

Sunny Side Up

egg, egg yolk, sweet, butter, bread, toast, cake, dairy product
Megan Prendergast

Sunny side up eggs are different than fried eggs. The key to sunny side up eggs is that they are cooked on one side, not flipped like a fried egg. The whites will be set but the yolk will still be runny.

Next time you go out for breakfast or brunch, use this guide to help you order your eggs like a pro.