Spoon IU recently hosted a nature-themed event, “Spa de la Spoon.” The goal of this event was to use food to create beauty products that were cheap, easy and fast, but natural. By using leftover food, minimizing costs and eliminating a trip to the local drug store, these natural face masks are a must. So, get ready for a spa getaway and step into your kitchen, open that fridge and get mashing.

1. Avocado Face Mask

face masks

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Looking for something to soothe that dry, peeling skin? Try mashing ½ of a soft avocado, mix in 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of hot water to let this green, chunky mixture work its magic and smooth your skin. The fatty acids in avocado moisturize your skin and leave you #flawless.

2. Banana Honey Face Mask

face masks

Photo by Emma Delaney

Bananas past their prime? Use them to reduce the oils in your skin by mashing ½ of a soft banana, adding 1 teaspoon of honey and 5 drops of lemon juice. Apply the mask directly to your face and reap the many nutritional benefits bananas have to offer for your skin.

3. Cucumber Face Mask

face masks

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

This one is great for almost everything. From sunburns to dark circles, to blemishes and skin rejuvenation, cucumbers have got ya covered. Grab ½ of a fresh cucumber, peel it, chunk it, blend it and add 1 tablespoon of honey for a zing of freshness.

Next time you’re in the mood for an uplifting facial, scope out your kitchen and whip up something refreshing.