Spoon University Logo
gilmore girls watch party
gilmore girls watch party
Photo by Gilmore Girls/YouTube
Lifestyle

How To Host A Gilmore Girls Watch Party For The Fall

As the chill winds start blowing and cozy sweaters make their return, there’s one sound that echoes in every Gilmore Girls fan’s mind — la la la. Fall is synonymous with the beloved 2000s show that embraces all things cozy, nostalgic, and full of autumn vibes. Whether you’re a longtime fan or diving into Stars Hollow for the first time, here’s a guide to hosting the perfect Gilmore Girls watch party, packed with food, drinks, activities, and decor to transport you straight into Lorelai and Rory’s world.

Food & Drinks

Food is central to Gilmore Girls, so your menu should reflect Lorelai and Rory’s love for comfort food. Start with Pop-Tarts, a Rory breakfast favorite, served on cute plates with different flavors. Chinese food is a classic choice for takeout for the Gilmores — lo mein, dumplings, and egg rolls are perfect for recreating Lorelai and Rory’s movie nights. Pizza is another essential for a marathon, and if there’s too much, you can always save it for the next day, just like Lorelai would. 

Don’t forget the coffee — embrace Lorelai’s caffeine obsession by keeping the pot going all night, and pair it with Luke-inspired cheeseburgers and fries for a diner vibe. Finish the spread with desserts like marshmallows, brownies, and doughnuts that Lorelai would absolutely approve of. 

Decorations

Stars Hollow was always beautifully decorated for fall, with autumn leaves, pumpkins, and even pilgrim costumes for festive celebrations. What truly gave the town its cozy charm, though, were the lights. To bring that same warmth to your party, hang up fairy lights and decorate to recreate the feel of the Stars Hollow gazebo glowing at night.

Lorelai’s house was full of character, with stacks of books and quirky decor like the iconic monkey lamp. Add some creative touches to your space, and consider imitating their favorite spots, like Luke’s Diner. A “No Cell Phones” sign is a must to capture Luke’s diner vibe! These small details will make your party feel like a true homage to the show.

Music 

No Gilmore Girls watch party is complete without the perfect playlist. Channel your inner Lane Kim by curating a playlist that captures the show’s essence. Alongside the iconic songs featured in Gilmore Girls, add tracks embody the cozy, autumnal vibes of Stars Hollow. Bonus points for including songs that speak to the heartwarming, and sometimes complicated, dynamics of mother-daughter relationships. For an ideal soundtrack, check out this playlist, packed with songs sure to make you feel like you’re overhearing Lorelai and Rory’s conversation at Luke’s Diner.

Activities

A Gilmore Girls watch party isn’t complete without activities that totally capture Lorelai and Rory’s fast-talking, pop-culture-obsessed world. Start with a mini-book club to channel Rory’s bookworm energy. Pick one of her favorites, like Pride and Prejudice or The Bell Jar, and let everyone share their hot takes or some fun trivia. For a twist, set up a “Rory Gilmore Reading List Challenge” so guests can see how many books they can check off in the future.

Next up, dive into a Karaoke session inspired by Lane Kim’s love for rock music. Queue up songs from the show or go full-on Hep Alien by having everyone perform rock classics. For craft lovers, set up a DIY station where guests can decorate their own Luke’s Diner coffee mugs. It’s creative and gives everyone a custom souvenir to take home.

Luiza Louback is a contributing writer for the Spoon University National Writers Program. She is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania, majoring in English and Communications. At Penn, she is the Arts Editor at 34th Street Magazine and a reporter for The Daily Pennsylvanian.