It’s the day before you have to leave your apartment for break, and there’s still food in the fridge. There’s no way you can eat it all before you leave, though you’re willing to try because you’re a poor college student, and just throwing it away breaks your heart. Never fear; you’re freezer’s got your back. Here are tips on how to freeze five staple foods.

1. MILK

freeze

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Pre-Freeze: Make sure that there are one to two inches of empty air at the top of the milk container because the liquid will expand when frozen.
Freeze: 1-2 months
Post-Freeze: Place the frozen milk in the refrigerator to thaw. Shake before using to avoid unsavory separation.

2. BREAD

freeze

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Pre-Freeze: Put the bread in a plastic freezer bag or use the one the bread came in. Make sure to tape the mouth of the bag completely closed.
Freeze: 2-3 weeks
Post-Freeze: Allow two to three hours for a loaf to thaw on a counter at room temperature. Or use the “defrost” setting of a microwave to thaw individual slices of bread.

3. EGGS

freeze

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Pre-Freeze: Crack open the eggs and beat the yolks and whites together. For every cup of raw eggs you are freezing, either add one-half teaspoon of salt (if the eggs will be used in a savory dish) or one tablespoon of sugar (if the eggs will be used in a sweet dish). Place in airtight containers.
Freeze: 1 year
Post-Freeze: Thaw the eggs in the refrigerator the day before you want to use them.

4. ONIONS

Note: This is just one example of how to freeze vegetables; fruits and vegetables can often be frozen in multiple different ways, some of which involve blanching.

freeze

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Pre-Freeze: Either chop the onion into small pieces or cut it in half. Place the pieces in a freezer bag. When thinking about placement in the freezer, beware of the odor. You don’t want your ice cream smelling like onions, do you?
Freeze: 3-6 months
Post-Freeze: Throw the frozen onion directly into boiling soups or hot casseroles to cook. Because the consistency will have changed, only use frozen onions in cooked meals.

5. CHEESE

freeze

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Pre-Freeze: Chop the cheese into half-pound blocks or grate it. Put it in a freezer bag.
Freeze: 6 months
Post-Freeze: Thaw the cheese in the refrigerator two or three days before you want to use it. Because the consistency will be more crumbly, it is best to use it in recipes that call for melted cheese like nachos, sauces and soups.