Let's be honest: eating a plant-based diet can be a real struggle, especially when you eat out often. Sometimes there's barely anything to choose from, and it's a pain to modify an order. Plus, if you're a picky eater, things are infinitely more difficult. It may be a hard-knock life for us veggies, but fear not! There's still hope at the University of Arizona's Student Union Memorial Center (SUMC). Whether you've been a vegetarian/vegan for years or this is your first meatless month, you've stumbled upon a treasure map to guide you toward quality food that fits your needs. 

Cactus Grill

Ideal Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner

Sarah George

Cactus Grill is a more traditional dining-hall-style spot located on the second floor of SUMC. It's a bit of a hike up the stairs, but the food is absolutely worth it! Some of their best breakfast options include a customizable omelette bar, a pay-by-weight fresh fruit option, and hot oatmeal. For lunch, you could hit the pay-by-weight salad bar, which offers all our favorite salad superheroes plus various protein options like tofu, edamame, or chopped egg! If salads aren't your thing, they also offer a fantastic falafel wrap and a grilled cheese sandwich. If you're looking for some dinner options, I highly recommend the black bean burger or the green chile quesadilla. 

No matter what time of day, Cactus Grill has your cravings and your dietary needs covered!

Papa John's Pizza

Ideal meals: Lunch or Dinner

Sarah George

Vegetarian pizza lovers delight! Papa John's is conveniently located in the SUMC food court to satisfy your cheese cravings. In addition to plain cheese, they also offer a veggie variety, which is loaded with tomatoes, olives, green peppers, and onions. If you're still hungry after the pizza, they also have garlic parmesan bread sticks and easy grab-and-go salads.

Panda Express

Ideal meals: Lunch or Dinner

Sarah George

Need a protein boost? Panda Express has you covered! Their eggplant tofu entree is delicious and perfectly plant-powered. Pair it with fried rice (vegetarian), chow mein (vegan) or the super greens vegetable mix for a filling meal.

Important note: Panda Express warns that their dishes are not strictly vegetarian/vegan (or gluten free). If you don't want to risk the contamination, this may not be your best choice. 

On Deck Deli

Ideal meals: Lunch or Dinner

Sarah George

On Deck Deli is the best thing since sliced bread! They serve up made-to-order sandwiches which can be topped with a variety of vegetables, cheeses, and dressings. You can wrap up veggies and hummus in a spinach tortilla, customize an egg salad sandwich, or build anything in between. Bonus: they also have a separate gluten-free counter!

Core

Ideal meals: Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner

Sarah George

Core offers an extensive build-your-own meal bar that has salads, rice bowls, and oatmeal for the morning! You can walk inside, fill up a bowl with your favorite mix-ins and enjoy a fresh meal made by you. Core is perfect for a meatless on-the-go lifestyle any time of day!

Sabor

Ideal meals: Lunch or Dinner

Sarah George

Looking for something a little different? Sabor offers some great options for vegetarians, which range from rice bowls to burritos to quesadillas. You can choose your filling, such as spicy lentils, black/pinto beans, or calabacitas (yellow squash and zucchini). All are delicious, and they come in large portions that are sure to fill you up. 

IQ Fresh

Ideal meals: Breakfast or Lunch

Sarah George

IQ Fresh has some great healthy options for both breakfast and lunch. For vegetarians, they offer breakfast boules with egg, pita, and toppings. They also make a vegetarian salad and wrap. For vegans, there are customizable smoothies, a breakfast fruit whip, and a salad!

Nrich Urban Market

Ideal meals: Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner

Sarah George

Nrich Urban Market is a haven for us veggies! They have tons of convenient and health-conscious items that can satisfy any need. Plus, all of their items display their ingredients and nutrition facts! For breakfast, you can find fresh cut fruit, freshly made juices, and overnight oats. There are prepackaged salads and snacks for lunch and reheatable entrees for dinner! No matter what time of day or what you're looking for, Nrich is a fantastic place to find what your heart desires. 

Looking for some more vegetarian or vegan inspiration? Check out this article:

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/6-things-every-vegan-should-know