I have gotten used to the usual responses when I tell people that I try to eat vegan: “Isn’t it hard to do? What do you eat then? Doesn’t the food get boring? How can it taste good?”. I get it—trying to make the vegetables that you avoided as a kid taste delicious seems daunting.  But, if you know how to successfully eat vegan food, you'll be craving those healthy dishes.

After signing up for Purple Carrot, the plant-based meal kit that gets sent right to your door, I have tried mouthwatering recipes that only require six steps (for those who say that to make yummy vegan food must take a lot of work). By showing what types of meals I’ve been eating and how aesthetically-pleasing they turn out, thanks to Purple Carrot, I hope that those who just want a healthy dinner, are deciding to become vegan, or are vegan veterans, can see or be reminded of how accessible and tasty a vegan diet really is.

1. Zucchini Lasagna

For those who love those carbohydrates but want a more nutritious meal, substituting a vegetable, like zucchini, can do the trick.  Purple Carrot makes its lasagna with sliced zucchini, marinara sauce, tofu ricotta (tofu, lemon zest, spinach, oregano), and toasted panko.  Top it with basil to enjoy a hearty meal that won't make you miss pasta!

2. Spinach and Avocado "Quesadilla"

This lentil-based dish is a play on a quesadilla (without the cheese, of course).  The tortilla is filled with roasted red peppers, avocado,  spinach, and is dipped in a lime crema.  We can't forget the cheese flavor that gives the quesadilla its name, so Purple Carrot uses vegan cream cheese as a substitute.  And the best part - you can pop them in your mouth as fast as you made them!

3. Beet Burger

The beet burger was my favorite meal.  The burger mixture base is mainly beets and kidney beans, which you could even eat on its own because it is that good.  To freshen up the dish, arugula, cucumbers, and roasted grapes squish in between the ciabatta roll.  One bonus is that this meal is super light and summery,  but another bonus -  it is super Instagram-worthy.

4. Shiitake Tofu Stir-Fry

Tofu, in its natural form, is probably the most avoided food out there - its flavor makes eating paper more appealing, its spongy texture makes you gag, and it doesn't look too hot.  However, if you transform tofu, such as in a stir-fry, you'll see why tofu is a staple in vegan cuisine.  Surrounded by shiitake mushrooms, black beans, rice, and vegetables, the ginger-cooked tofu becomes the star of this filling dish.

Purple Carrot's recipes provide confidence that eating vegan is not hard to do, since the quick and easy meals turn out delicious.  Successfully eating vegan only takes a little bit of learning, but after that, you'll be on your way to making tasty vegan meals that you and your friends will be obsessing over.