Everyone knows eating salads can be a great way to get a lot of veggies and nutrients, but that means nothing if you can’t even put that forkful of leaves in your mouth. There are so many aspects to a salad that can make it very delish; it truly is allll about the toppings.

So, to start, let's talk about choosing your base. This could be romaine, spinach, kale, arugula, whatever. There are so many options, but don’t lie to yourself and buy kale if you think it tastes like dirt. If romaine is all you can do, go for it.

Everything else is fun from here. I like to add a wide variety of toppings to add more calories, more flavor, and to make sure I won’t be hungry 37 seconds after I finish this meal. Where to even begin?

Let's talk nuts.

Unless you are allergic (duh), nuts are a great way to add protein and fat to your salad. I don’t think I have ever had nuts on a salad and not liked it. I typically go for walnuts, pecans, almonds, or cashews. If you want a little sugar and spice, try some that are honey roasted/candied (you won’t regret it).

Seeds & Beans

Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are another excellent way to get some protein and fat into your salad. Honestly, you can even try out sesame seeds for an asian style salad.

Beans are an excellent source of fiber and vegan protein. You cannot go wrong when adding a tablespoon of black beans or chickpeas. TIP: Check out this recipe for how to make your own roasted chickpeas! https://spoonuniversity.com/recipe/roasted-chickpeas

Fruit

My love for dried fruit continues, and dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries, etc. are all an amazing addition that add a little bit of texture and some sweetness to counter those leafy greens. Do not overlook fresh fruit though. Pears, apples, oranges, or any kind of berry are DELISH in any salad. I know you might be feeling weird about adding apples to your bleu cheese dressing, but try it, you might surprise yourself.

Cheese

Cheese, another one of my favorite topics. As we all know, there are a bajillion types of cheese and choosing your favorite to sprinkle on your salad is not a difficult task. I am always up for some parmesan or monterey jack.

Meat/Fish

For me, this is the hardest aspect of salads because it is the least convenient. I do not want to cook shrimp or a chicken tenderloin to cut up just for my salad since that completely defeats the purpose of a quick and easy meal. But, if you tend to meal prep or happen to have some leftovers from last night’s dinner, feel free to throw whatever you’ve got onto that salad.

TIP: If you have some lunch meat in the fridge, cut some slices up into pieces and sprinkle atop your salad, this will give you the protein you want without the cooking mess you don’t want.

Dressing

Drum roll please. This is where things can go in a number of directions. Your salad dressing can depend 100% on the mood you are in. Maybe you are getting some fruity vibes and are looking for a pomegranate vinaigrette, or maybe you are feeling a little spicy and are craving a chipotle honey ranch. Regardless, check your local stores for endless opportunities. Many places will even have seasonal salad dressings. Everything is better seasonal, right? But please, don’t be boring and go for italian or balsamic, it is worth finding that dressing you LOVE. It really does make or break the dish.

Anyways, next time you are staring into your fridge wondering what you might be able to craft up for lunch, maybe you will consider reaching for the lettuce and concocting a delicious creation of your own.

Feel free to check out this link to lots of other salad ideas

Feel free to check out this link to lots of other salad ideas!

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/31-salads-to-celebrate-national-salad-month-this-may