Mashed potatoes are a staple dinner side dish in many homes, especially around the holidays. Whether you enjoy a smooth, creamy texture or a chunky mashed potato recipe, I think we can all agree that mashed potatoes don’t taste as good the following day as leftovers. Here are some recipes you should try with leftover mashed potatoes if you're tired of eating the same leftovers day after day. 

Classic Shepherd's Pie

Cold months call for hearty meals, and shepherd's pie is a great idea for a cozy night in. Make a traditional pie with ground beef or swap in ground turkey for a healthier option. Most importantly, make sure to top it off with leftover mashed potatoes and bake the pie for a crunchy crust. 

Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes 

Blueberry, chocolate chip, strawberry cheesecake, and now mashed potato pancakes. This is a really simple where you can throw all the ingredients into one bowl, fry off the patties and enjoy a delicious meal in a matter of minutes. Here's a quick and easy recipe video.

Duchess Potatoes

Sounds a bit too fancy, but we all deserve to feel a little posh sometimes, and this is a great recipe for those occasions. Duchess Potatoes are light and fluffy on the inside and nicely crisp on the outside. Plus they are a perfect size for snacking during any time of the day.

Mashed Potato Fries

Yes, this might seem like a lot more work than buying fast food fries, but if you already have leftover mashed potatoes, you might as well give this recipe a try. You can always serve these fries with ketchup and mustard, but if you really want to show off your cooking skills, then give this recipe for vodka sauce a go.

#SpoonTip: This recipe works best if the mashed potatoes are relatively dry in texture because it makes it easier to cut them into a fry.

Mashed Potato Puffs 

Time to break out the muffin tin and make some mashed potato puffs. These puffs are a great appetizer for game night or a nice quiet night in with your friends. This would also be a great way to get your friends into the kitchen so everyone can customize their own puffs.

Mashed Potato Quesadilla

Carbs on carbs, but who can blame you for loving carbs. This mashed potato quesadilla is a brilliant mash up of two popular comfort foods and only uses 4 ingredients with leftover mashed potatoes as one of them. Add some bbq chicken for some extra oomph or keep it vegetarian and add caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, or canned black beans.

Mashed Potato Waffles

If mashed potato pancakes exist, it just makes sense for there to be a waffle version, right? These waffles super customizable. Add cheddar cheese right into the batter or spice it up with some chili powder to give your morning a nice kick. Don't forget to top them off with a drizzle of Sriracha sauce or a creamy avocado basil sauce.

Spanish Spinach Croquettes

Croquettes are a common appetizer all around Spain. Even though it's impossible to travel to Spain every time you're craving this golden treat, you can always make it at home with a few simple ingredients. Toss in some shredded chicken, a dash of cayenne, or mix up the cheese combinations to create a unique version of croquettes right in your kitchen.

Yeast Raised Potato Donuts

Nothing screams breakfast like coffee and donuts, but mashed potato donuts? Yes, just hear me out. The potatoes in the recipe give this donut an amazing fluffy texture with a crispy crust. For a sweet donut, make sure to use mashed potatoes that are only seasoned with salt. But you can also use this recipe to create a savory versions, just leave out the sugar.

There are also many different ways to use mashed potatoes that you don't settle for day old leftovers. Make sure to try out one of these recipes to amp up your meal.