Spoon University has an almost inexhaustible amount of food media, but sometimes its nice just to turn the glossy pages of a magazine -- there is something meditative about it. Maybe its nice to get a monthly present in your mailbox after a long day. Honestly, nothing holds up to a pool side lounge session better than a colorful food spread in your favorite food mag. Whatever your reasons for reaching for a food magazine, here is the scoop on how to choose the best one for you. 

Cook's Illustrated 

Marissa Rivers

This magazine is tailored for the sophisticated connoisseur of good old fashioned home cooking. Most images in this magazine are hand drawn and colored (hence the name), although you do find some photography. You can tell right away that this is a carefully constructed magazine with astute attention to detail. Cook's Illustrated features detailed technical content that doesn't stop at recipes-- it also instructs cooking techniques and equipment. This magazine has no ads and comes every two months. Cook's Illustrated is perfect for those who treat cooking like an art and a science. 

Eating Well 

Marissa Rivers

This food magazine is perfect for a health nut foodie who wants to put their finger on the pulse of pop culture. Eating Well expertly follows and incorporates the hottest food trends and adds a wellness spin. Here you can find quick, easy and nutritious weeknight dinner recipes that are perfect for busy (and broke) college kids. It also boasts a hefty fitness section, but does keep a consistent emphasis on good health. You'll find a decent amount of information that's well blended with bright, colorful spreads that make your mouth water for *checks notes* uhm, kale. It makes your mouth water for kale. 

Fleishigs 

Marissa Rivers

Despite what you may have heard, this hip kosher magazine is not just for those who keep kosher, and its not just for NYC transplants who miss their deli or their Bubbe's brisket. Yes, Fleishigs has something for everyone (except maybe vegetarians). Here you can find bright and refreshing spreads featuring gourmet meals that will have you reaching for the mustard and cabbage. Many of the recipes give crucial insight on cooking your meat just right, and garnishing it with the perfect topping. And the travel section? It had me desperately wanting to visit European cities I had never heard of. Pick this magazine up if you want to add some exciting new recipes and ingredients to your repertoire. 

Bon Appetit

Marissa Rivers

Here lies a modern and cosmopolitan ode to foodies everywhere. Packed with pizzazz, you can find tons of new products and fun updated recipes on every page. More than any of the other magazines, Bon Appetit makes food culture a lifestyle. It features reviews and editorials that make food personal. The recipes are full of playful and modern twists; if you love fusion food this should be a go-to. Just wield your power wisely, you might end up spending all day in your kitchen or your whole paycheck on updating your cooking tools. 

Final Thoughts

Marissa Rivers

There are many food magazines out there and there is something for everyone in each one. Pro-tip: head to your local bookstore to check out your top choices before you subscribe!