New Year's is a time to reflect on the past year and set goals for the year to come. As this year (and decade) comes to a close, let's set aside time for reflection—but also time for glitter. New Year's Eve tends to be associated with sparkles and metallic silver and gold, so the snacks should be made accordingly. With a touch of edible glitter, you're ready to host a New Year's party.

As a disclaimer, it is possible to get non-toxic glitter that isn't meant to be edible. So make sure to use actual edible glitter for these festive treats. If you want, you can make your own.

Chocolate-Dipped Oreos

Who knew Oreos could taste even better? These chocolate-dipped oreos are amazing on their own, but a splash of glitter takes them one step further, elevating them to a level of beauty I didn’t know was attainable for a simple sandwich cookie. They are not only festive and delicious, but extremely easy to make; the only cooking required is the use of a microwave. Ring in the new year with this treat that you can throw together at the last minute.

Popcorn

Whether it’s New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day, there always seems to be a movie involved in my life. So I turn to popcorn. While this recipe is meant for an Oscars viewing party, New Year’s involves just as much gold and silver glitter as the awards show, so give this recipe a try. You could pop your own kernels on a stove, or just throw a store-bought bag into the microwave and sprinkle on some glitter at the end.

Cake Pops

For a New Year’s party, presentation is just as important as taste. These cake pops can be displayed easily and look just like a glittery ball that drops at midnight. Plus, they’re easy to eat without getting glitter dust all over your New Year’s Eve outfit. 

Fortune Cookies

This creative cookie fits the New Year’s theme perfectly. With these fortune cookies, you can give your New Year’s guests pieces of wisdom to bring with them not only into the new year, but into the new decade. The edible sparkles add the shine that every cookie needs.

Lollipops

This delicate treat makes for a great party favor. It's a beautiful, homemade take on the sucker candy we all grew up with. The translucent, glasslike background lets the glitter speak for itself, almost as if it were floating mid-air.

For extra touches of sparkle, sprinkle edible glitter onto the rim of your cheese board and/or champagne glasses. Or, show a real dedication to theme with these sparkly almonds for when your guests first arrive. No matter how you decide to do it, incorporating glitter into your New Year's party will help you start the year off on a bright note.