St. Patty’s Day is the one day (or weekend) a year when if it’s green, it goes. This not only applies to ironic t-shirts and beaded necklaces, but also to drinks. Yes, you know what we’re talking about: the infamous Irish Trash Can.

Let’s just say there is a definite reason this electrically green drink is called a Trash Can. Composed of seven different ingredients, this combination of gin, light rum, vodka, peach schnapps, blue Curaçao liqueur, triple sec and Red Bull makes you feel like you’ve just consumed every ingredient at your local Irish pub.

St. Patty's Day

It may seem like drinking an Irish Trash Can is a good idea when all of your friends are wasted (cue Chance The Rapper) but this drink can wreak havoc on your body. One 16-oz. serving contains almost 400 calories and at least 50 grams of sugar. Turns out you might feel like a trash can after this drink is done with you.

In case you didn’t realize, that’s a whole lot of sugar. The World Health Organization suggests a maximum amount of 50 grams of sugar per day to stay healthy and avoid the risks of obesity and tooth decay.

St. Patty's Day

We understand that you’re not going to sit around and fret about how many calories you’re drinking when all you want to do is celebrate the death of St. Patrick. Lucky for you, we have come up with a solution to detox your body after this weekend of virescent consumption.

Drumroll please… Drink more green. No, not another Trash Can. Head on over to your local grocery store or juice bar (or even just your own blender) and get yourself some green juice. If you’re going to be chugging down that leprechaun liquor all night, wake up the next morning and replenish your body with some leafy greens.

St. Patty's Day

Photo by Abby Farley

After your weekend of bad puns and four-leaf clovers, you are going to need some leafy greens in your life. If you aren’t a fan of liquid rabbit food, we understand, but we promise a cup of kale will do wonders for the war zone that is now your liver.

Nothing says detox quite like kale. This leafy green is nutrient dense and has very little sugar, which you should definitely avoid after a night of sweet drinks. Kale contains bile acid sequestrants, which are magical little substances in your body that lower your cholesterol and reduce your risk of heart disease over time.

Too much alcohol can cause an increase in cholesterol, meaning kale and other similar greens could save your life (or at least minimize that deathly hangover). An excess of alcohol can also damage your immune system by creating a nutrient deficiency. Too much booze can even reduce your white blood cells’ ability to kill germs. Simply put, generally avoid excessive sugar and alcohol.

St. Patty's Day

Photo by Collette Block

But who are we kidding? After your big night out, replenish your body with some leafy greens. These veggies contain large amounts of vitamins A and C, as well as protein, fiber, and calcium. In short, green juice can clear your body of harmful toxins like alcohol and strengthen your immune system.

St. Patty's Day

Photo courtesy of vegetablematter.blogspot.com

Whether you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or end up passed out before the party even begins, March 17th will be a day to remember. Take our advice this St. Patty’s Day – sport your ironic t-shirt with pride and party like you found a four leaf clover.

But most importantly, remember to drink one serving of green juice for every Irish Trash Can (or other sugary alcoholic drink) chugged this St. Patty’s Day weekend. We promise, you and your liver will thank us on Sunday when you are too hungover to leave your bed.

#SpoonTip: Order your juice ahead of time from Pressed Juicery – they deliver so you won’t have to worry about stumbling around the next day.