It’s my first time studying abroad in the greatest city in the world, Dublin. The rain is coming down constantly and the wind from the River Liffey hasn’t subsided one bit. In my short time here, I’ve found that there is no better place to warm up than in a cozy pub with a pint of Guinness.

Guinness

Photo by Molly Gamache

Since I was recently certified to pour the perfect pint of Guinness, I am here to explain why Guinness is your best choice the next time you are at the bar. There are two things to remember when ordering a Guinness: appreciate the craft that goes into pouring this beer, and make sure that you drink your Guinness draught the right way.

After spending two hours touring the Guinness factory in Dublin, me and my American self now appreciate every step that goes into making a single pint of Guinness.

Guinness

Photo by Molly Gamache

There are six distinct factors that goes into making the beverage: the roasted barely, the extra hops, special yeast, the maturation process, the infamous creamy head, and most importantly, the way it is poured.

It takes 119.5 seconds to properly pour a pint of Guinness Draught. There are five steps.

1. Get a clean pint glass that has Guinness clearly labeled on it.

2. Tilt the glass to approximately a 45° angle.

3. Pull the tap handle with the glass still tilted. If you are using a certified Guinness glass, then fill your glass up to the harp. If not, then just fill it about two-thirds.

4. Let the Guinness settle for about 1-2 minutes and appreciate the foam head settling at the top of the glass.

5. Top off the beer by pushing the tap until the glass is to your liking.

Guinness

Photo by Molly Gamache

Now that your beer is ready to enjoy, don’t just chug it. Take a moment to inhale through your nose, then fill your mouth with a substantial amount. Swish the Guinness around in your mouth, allowing it to reach your entire palate. Swallow. Then exhale through your nose.

Guinness

Photo by Molly Gamache

Got all that? Drinking Guinness this way will change your perspective on this dark, heavy beer and have you feeling like a local Dubliner.

Still not convinced? Did a hipster tell you beer isn’t healthy? Well, Guinness Draught is one of the lowest-calorie non-light beers at just 125 calories. You could easily have a light beer such as Amstel light at 95 calories or Bud Light at 110 calories, but who wants light beer? You don’t get that rich full-filling taste with a light beer, and when in Dublin, you drink a Guinness.

And the next time you tell your bartender that you want a Guinness, give a little thanks to Arthur Guinness for giving us such a wonderful beverage.