Disclaimer: This article discusses the themes of death and suicide contained in the Netflix original series "13 Reasons Why." Please read on at your own discretion.

So "13 Reasons Why" has been renewed for a second season, has it? Can’t say I’m surprised. The Netflix original has been a massive hit, becoming the subject of praise, debate and many dubious memes.

However, mental health experts say that the series glorifies suicide and gives a skewed perception of depression and mental health illnesses. Schools have even released notices warning parents against letting their children watch it unsupervised.

Don’t get me wrong, I binge-watched all 13 episodes (when I should have been studying for my finals, but that’s irrelevant) and overall, I enjoyed the show. It had a captivating plot, and for the most part, it was thought-provoking.

Having said that, I’m not thrilled that a second season has been announced.

Let’s start with what the show did right, because that’s how my mother raised me. For me, "13 Reasons Why" did a somewhat respectable job at diverse casting. Sure, the main protagonists are white teenagers, but the supporting cast boasts a range of diverse ethnicities with decent LGBT representation.

They have also done an exceptional job at giving us the opportunity to start open discussions regarding consent in all its different contexts. Not only does the show cover issues of sexual consent, but also intellectual property and personal boundaries.

It is for those important discussions on consent to happen, that I feel they shouldn’t have declared a second season. I mean… was it just me, or did anyone else feel like that announcement came way too soon?

It was almost disrespectful. Look, I understand that in the entertainment business there is a constant race to stay relevant and so announcing season two may have seemed like a practical decision. However, announcing a second season just three months after releasing the first comes across as a bid to capitalize on the buzz, and this cheapened the message the show was trying to deliver.

I daresay they would’ve gotten just as much of a response had they announced the second season closer to its release date next year. What they have done instead is shift the focus from unpacking the important issues brought up by season one to speculating what will happen in season two. My worry is that those discussions that needed to happen about season one will be abandoned in the hype. 

Speaking of issues with the first season, here’s one of mine: Death is final (sorry to be blunt). Yes, many suicide cases involve the victim in question leaving behind a note explaining their decision, but the Baker tapes go one step further by drawing out Hannah’s story and making it feel like she isn't actually gone.

Yes, this makes for good television, but what message is it sending to at-risk individuals who might be contemplating suicide? In death, my story will live on?

I do feel that message was accidental, but quite frankly that isn’t an excuse. They should've been more careful. Instead, the team got swept away with the narrative of the show and delivered this romanticized version of suicide that has the potential to inspire someone vulnerable.

All a second season does is prolong this "voice beyond the grave." I’m not the only one worried about what this unrealistic portrayal of death will do. Which brings me back to why it is so important that viewers be given a chance to settle their thoughts about any feelings the first season stirred up before a second season is publicized.

This show needs to be watched with a critical eye and be thoroughly discussed. Let's use it to talk about the face of bullying in 2017; to talk about what to do when you really do feel depressed. Let’s talk about how in a school year, 58 percent of high schoolers experience sexual harassment. And most importantly, let's use it to recognize that no means NO.

"13 Reasons Why" has made us question and confront so many issues. It has opened discussions into often avoided topics like bullying, mental health and consent. But it also has its flaws, and it is those very flaws that need to be embraced and picked apart for the show to have been truly effective at prompting a much-needed conversation. A second season? No thank you. Not yet, at least.

#SpoonTip: If you or someone you know is depressed and contemplating suicide, please call the 24-hour Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 for free and confidential support. If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault, please call the 24-hour National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-4673 for free and confidential support.