Let me tell you a little secret: the day you start accepting that you're a bit of a hot mess is the day your life will change for the better. As a busy college student who wants to binge-watch Netflix but also has six courses and multiple responsibilities, I've mastered the art of living a chaotic life.

Something I used to do as a Type A perfectionist is create goals and lists of things I wanted (i.e needed) to achieve in the New Year to be fulfilled. That made me wind up feeling deflated and exhausted, so now I've come up with a list of healthy habits that are easy to pick up, even if you're a hot mess.

Start Walking More

One of the easiest ways to stay in shape, especially on a college campus, is to walk everywhere. Rather than complaining about not having my car here, I enjoy walking everywhere knowing that if I don't get a chance to hit the gym, I'm still getting some exercise.

Drink More Water

Water has so many benefits! From boosting your immune system to helping headaches, the benefits of staying hydrated are endless. Aim to drink more water and you'll actually feel less tired and might even see a difference in your complexion.

Count Your Blessings

Mental health is just as important as physical health, so this year, I started a blessing jar. Every week, I write down something good that happened to me that week and put it in the jar. At the end of the year, I'll have a bunch of awesome memories to look back on.

Take a Social Media Detox

I recommend this so heavily. I took a break from Instagram for a month and my issues with comparison practically disappeared during that time. It was super refreshing not keeping up with other peoples lives and not having to post about what was up with me.

Try to Enjoy Cooking

Part of the reason people find it hard to eat healthy is because cooking can be a hassle. As a student, sometimes I'm too busy (or just lazy) and don't feel like cooking anything other than pasta.

Downloading apps like BigOven or Betty Crocker Cookbook can help make cooking fun again. The intrigue of trying a new dish is great motivation to get back in the kitchen.

Pick Up a New Hobby

Everyone could use a new hobby. It can be something bigger, like learning an instrument, or something small, like being more crafty. Hobbies are a great way to relieve stress, have fun, and even meet new people.

Make A Self-Care List

I think it's important to have some sort of self-care 'toolbox' for when you're having a bad day and need some TLC. Creating a list of things to do when you feel blue is a great resource for the future.

Whenever you're feeling down, just pick up the list and do something on it to feel a bit better. It can be anything, big or small. For example, one item on my list is to drink a glass of water and listen to Vienna by Billy Joel.

The most important habit to pick up is checking in with yourself frequently. Make sure that you feel hydrated, rested, emotionally well and physically well.

Having a busy and chaotic life is okay as long as we remember to take care of ourselves too! After all, who's going to run your hot, messy life if you aren't in the driver's seat?