They say that the best way to someone's heart is through their stomach, and I couldn't agree more. As a baker, I love surprising my friends and classmates with some freshly baked homemade cookies. They love me for thinking of them and surprising them with little treats. 

When I found myself ghosted after two Tinder dates, I was a little heartbroken. All of my efforts felt like Dorret's collapsed gateau on GBBO. You know the one I'm talking about.

But, much like baking, relationships have a recipe and require a bit of chemistry in order to work. The last two dates must've lacked chemistry, so I needed to initiate it. I thought back to my love of baking for others, and I got a somewhat crazy, brilliant plan. Why not bring some freshly baked cookies to my next Tinder date? That might initiate something!

I found a new match on Tinder (let's call him Matt) and we hit it off nicely. A few days later, he brought up that he was having a get together with his friends and that I was welcome to join him. He said there would be food, and my excitement grew. Now, I won't look weird if I bring cookies!

I got some ingredients from Whole Foods, went back home, and baked some chocolate chip cookies. I think they turned out pretty swell.

chocolate, cookie, oatmeal, sweet
Madeleine Mason

I took the train to the address he gave me, feeling very, very nervous. I gave the address to my roommates, and turned on my location so they could see me, so why was I so nervous? It was a casual encounter — nothing more, nothing less. There was no definite proof that this night would lead to anything, after all. It was just a casual date. 

I arrived at Matt's place, and he welcomed me in. I told him that I made cookies for the occasion, and he seemed a little impressed. I did a happy dance on the inside. He put them on a little table, with a few other desserts.

"They have coconut oil in them," I said. "In case anyone's allergic to coconut, maybe you should put a note."

"Sure! By the way, I love coconut," he replied. 

I did my inside happy dance again.

The night turned out to be VERY successful. It was a lot of fun, and everyone loved the cookies (especially Matt!). He drove me back to my dorm after saying he had a good night. I replied that I did as well, we hugged, and I danced all the way back to my room. 

So did the cookies make my date better? No, but they definitely added a bit of spontaneity. It was fun showing up with something I made and having him appreciate it. I guess the big takeaway from this is that I can't hide myself behind a plate of chocolate chip cookies. I still have to be genuine and honest at the end of the day; however, I don't think it hurt anything.

So, if you're stuck in a dating rut, maybe bake up some cookies to bring. Or, if you're busy or just not a good cook, Betty Crocker's got your back. There's nothing wrong with bringing a little spontaneity to a date.

And if you're wondering, we did go out a second time. There were no cookies involved, but I can assure you, it was just as sweet.