‘Tis the season for Starbucks peppermint mochas, Ghirardelli peppermint bark, and Lindt peppermint white chocolate truffles. However, what a lot of people don’t realize is that many name-brand snack companies release exclusive, limited-edition holiday products. After a tireless investigation at the grocery store, I tasted, rated and reviewed some of the lesser-known products.

Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash

holiday

Photo by Shen Swartout

Taste: 3/5

Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash is a nice seasonal treat and the cranberry flavor is the perfect complement to normal citrusy Sierra Mist. Every time the holiday season comes around, I scavenge the grocery aisles looking for this drink. However, after trying it again, I realized that over time, the cranberry flavor fades away and the soda becomes way too sweet. It is still a refreshing beverage to have every once in awhile during the holidays, but it’s just not for my sweet-averse tastes. If you have a sweet tooth, this is definitely for you.

Candy Cane Oreos

holiday

Photo by Shen Swartout

Taste: 3/5

The packaging is cute but after trying these Oreos, I was not wowed. There was only a hint of peppermint, and even then it was pretty subtle. They seem to me to be exactly like regular mint Oreos, but with red food-coloring tossed into the filling. These are a cute twist on a classic and could be used to make these yummy candy cane Oreo cookie balls. Also, on a side note, did you know that you’ve been dunking your Oreos in milk all wrong? Check this life-hack out.

Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale

holiday

Photo by Shen Swartout

Taste: 5/5

I’ll admit it, I love ginger ale with a burning passion so my review of this is biased (so sue me). I expected to love it, and I did. It reminds me of those San Pellegrino fruit beverages and to me, this is the kind of beverage you’d drink at some semi-casual non-alcoholic holiday mixer. Plus, the “made from real ginger” label always makes me feel better about drinking something as atrociously unhealthy as soda, especially one that is neon red. The cranberry taste is admittedly not very strong. However, the subtle tartness of the cranberry along with the already not-too-sweet ginger ale makes it a festive and refreshing drink that screams “class” without being too overpriced.

White Chocolate Peppermint M&M’s

holiday

Photo by Shen Swartout

Taste: 5/5

These M&M’s are absolutely amazing; I actually prefer them over regular M&M’s. They are a lot bigger than regular M&M’s which is great because bigger is always better, right? Peppermint itself can be a bit overbearing but the white chocolate helps neutralize the powerful minty flavor. The two are a classic combination that always works well, especially during the holiday season. They also would be great in these Christmas cookies. Overall, definitely a nice holiday treat.

Trident Layers Candy Cane

holiday

Photo by Shen Swartout

Taste: 2/5

Trident Layers Candy Cane is creative at best. I like the idea, I’m just not too jazzed about the execution. It just tastes like regular mint gum, but overwhelmingly sweet. Trident tries too hard to make the gum actually taste like a candy cane. Yes, I taste the peppermint, but the gum is just way too sweet. Nice try, Trident, you’ll get ’em next time.

Each of these reviews are from my own personal opinion, but now it’s time for you to be the judge. You’ll never know if you’ll like these holiday treats or not until you try them for yourself! Now go out and devour all that is festive.