It's time for hearts, teddy bears, and Valentine's Day candy again! "

It's easy to become overwhelmed by what to pick for your valentine in rows of shelves overflowing with every candy imaginable, but now in a special edition pink and red wrapper.

Whether you're shopping for your significant other, crush, or best friend here are some do's and don'ts to keep in mind with a hit or miss Valentine's Day candy edition.

Hit: Chocolate Covered Strawberries

chocolate, candy, ice, sweet, salt
Justin Shannin

A classic, but for good reason.

A bite into a chocolate covered strawberry will bring love into anyone's heart.

Extra points if you can manage to concoct a batch of these in your own kitchen!

Miss: Creme Filled Anything

Don't do it.

It's tempting; every grocery store will be overflowing with heart shaped boxes that look promising.

This seems great--until your valentine sinks their teeth into oozy strawberry filling that no one signed up for.

Hit: Hershey's Kisses

Once again, a classic.

A handful of these will be sure to have your valentine smiling, and you might get your own kiss out of it.

Miss: Gummy Candy

Thank u, next. No gummy worms here.

Save gummy textured anything for a reject Halloween candy pile.

Hit: Chocolate Bar

Yes! Hershey's, Kit Kats, and Twix are all great options.

There are many specialty types of Kit Kats particularly, and a little twist on a well-loved chocolate bar shows you care, and it makes for a great conversation starter.

Miss: Lollipops

candy, sweet, lollipop
Kate Zizmor

Although there are plenty of red, pink, or heart shaped lollipops out there, don't buy into it (literally).

Honestly, your valentine would probably prefer a pack of gum over this anyway.

The Takeaway

Overall, chocolate is a good move.

Skip on fillings (cremes and nougats), and stay with reliable options.

Remember, if you make it at home or put a decent amount of thought into what you pick out, your valentine will be appreciative no matter what.