College takes a lot of time, effort, and brain power. Everyone wants to succeed in school, but it can be hard to stay concentrated when studying for long periods of time. Here are a few snacks that will boost your brain power and memory so you can study for hours without falling into that lethargic study slump.

Veggies and Hummus

bread, hummus, vegetable
Christin Urso

Hummus is made from chickpeas, which makes it a high protein snack that's full of fiber and healthy fats. Carrots have lots of vitamin A and potassium to aid in focus and energy. This pair is perfect during long study hours in your dorm, and is a well-balanced snack. Half a cup of hummus is about 200 calories, while a quarter of a bag of carrots has only 30 calories. You can also mix it up by adding celery or pita bread!

Apples and Peanut Butter

apple slice, apple, peanut butter, PB, snack, healthy snack, Fruit, nut butter nation

This traditional combo is one for the ages. A sweet and salty snack is perfect for curbing candy and chip cravings. Apples are high in fiber, and contain 100 calories per apple. Peanut butter, or any nut butter you choose, has about 190 calories per two tablespoons and is high in healthy fats with some protein to keep you feeling full and satisfied. 

Yogurt and Fruit

yogurt, milk
Jason Cruz

Yogurt and fruit is a great healthy snack when you're craving sweets. It's high in protein, calcium, and probiotics to help your gut health and bone strength; and the added fruit packs a flavor punch of antioxidants to boost memory and energy. Remember, it's important to look at the labels of yogurt carefully for added sugars! Opt for greek yogurt in a single-serving container with plenty of berries. The yogurt clocks in between 120-160 calories with fruit having 30-80 calories depending how much you like to put on your yogurt.

Avocado Toast

bread, toast, vegetable, herb, guacamole, avocado
Julia Maguire

Avocado toast is a versatile snack or meal for any time of day. The carbohydrates will give the body energy, and avocado comes with a plethora of benefits for the body. Avocado is high in fiber and healthy fats. A quarter of an avocado has only 80 calories and toast has between 80-130 calories. Top it with some lemon juice for a classic snack, or you can mix it up by adding tomatoes, or swapping the toast for rice cakes.

Trail Mix

nut, almond, peanut
Christin Urso

Trail mix is a yummy snack you can eat almost anywhere. You can buy it anywhere in many kinds of varieties. It's perfect to store in dorms, or to bring to the library for late night study sessions. Nuts are high in healthy fats and candied fruits add both flavor and a kick of energy. Trail mix can be high in calories, so make sure to portion your servings out carefully.

Oatmeal

blueberry, cereal, sweet, milk, yogurt, muesli, berry, oatmeal, porridge
Becky Hughes

The food of champions, oatmeal can be customized anyway you like and can be eaten at any time of day to give you energy and brain power. It's high in carbohydrates and fiber. It can also be made using just a microwave so you can store instant packets in your dorm with ease. You can top your oatmeal with berries, chia seeds, greek yogurt, or honey for some added nutrients and flavor. Instant packs of oatmeal clock in at 150 calories, leaving lots of room for toppings.

Popcorn

popcorn, corn, caramel, cereal, kettle corn, butter, sweet, salt
Chelsea Hawk

Popcorn is perfect for movie nights, sports games, and studying! Popcorn is a great low-calorie snack that's high in fiber and highly customizable. Plain air-popped popcorn can be upgraded with dried spices, cocoa powder, grated cheese, or nutritional yeast with only 100 calories in three cups. 

With the right nutrients, you can study the day away and get the good grades you've been working so hard for. No need to get into a rut, have some snacks on hand to power you through!