Why Drink Kombucha? Here's What It Is:

Originating in China in 220 B.C., kombucha is a fermented drink with three simple, core ingredients: black (occasionally green) tea, sugar, and yeast. The mixture undergoes fermentation, in which bacteria and yeast form a mushroom-like film on the mixture, which is a living symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY), and is reused to ferment new batches of kombucha. The fermentation process results in the formation of acetic acid, alcohols, and carbon dioxide, making it carbonated.

Why should you drink kombucha? It provides an extensive list of health benefits, ranging from increased energy levels to a healthier lifetime. How can you pass that up? If you don't already drink kombucha or are unfamiliar with its benefits, this article will justify the hype around the pricy, foul-smelling, bubbly, glass-bottled beverage. 

Health Benefits

1. Probiotics

Like other fermented foods like kimchi, miso and yogurt, kombucha has an abundance of probiotic health benefits. The fermentation process produces colonies of probiotic bacteria, which decrease inflammation, improve digestion, and may aid in weight loss. 

2. Antioxidants

Kombucha is rich in antioxidants, which reduce or delay cell, protein and DNA damage caused by oxidation and free radicals. By limiting the detrimental effects of oxygen on cellular health, antioxidants may reduce the risks of cancer, heart disease, strokes and age-related macular diseases.

3. Anti-Cancer Properties

Kombucha has a high concentration of tea polyphenols and antioxidants, and in a test-tube study, slowed the progression of cancerous cell growth. Though it is unclear, researchers predict that tea polyphenols fight cancer by blocking gene expression and inducing cell death

4. Detoxification

Fermentation results in gluconic and glucaric acid, which are both attributed to natural detoxification. Gluconic acid binds to toxins and helps to expel them from the body, while glucaric acid may improve the liver's efficiency to detoxify chemicals. 

5. Energy 

Kombucha contains caffeine, B vitamins and iron, which together provide energy-boosting effects without the adverse effects of high levels of caffeine found in popular energy drinks.

Top Brands To Try

GT's Kombucha

GT's Kombucha was founded as a local family business in 1995 and is said to be the start of the domestic kombucha industry. GT Dave developed the company after his mother Laraine overcame an aggressive form of breast cancer, claiming that her homemade kombucha healed her. 

My personal favorite GT's Kombucha flavors are Mystic Mango, Gingerade and Gingerberry, which can be found in most health food stores. 

Health-Ade Kombucha

Health-Ade Kombucha is known for brewing small, 2.5 gallon batches to ensure quality and freshness for its consumers. It is flavored with cold-pressed juices from organic produce, and is contained only in glass jars to avoid plastic and metal leaching

My favorite flavors are Pink Lady Apple, Blood Orange-Carrot-Ginger and their Holiday Cheers special with notes of ginger, allspice and chocolate. 

KeVita

Each bottle of KeVita is certified organic, vegan, and non-GMO and uses high quality ingredients and special fermentation processes in unique brewing techniques. Their main products are Master Brew Kombucha, Sparkling Probiotic Drinks and Apple Cider Vinegar Tonics

My favorite flavors of KeVita Master Brew Kombucha are Blueberry Basil, Grapefruit, and Lavender Melon.  

Next time you reach for a bottle of sugary, caffeinated soda, think twice and recall the benefits of drinking kombucha.