Mexican food is as diverse as it is delicious- from giant, vibrant Day of the Dead  feasts to the simple snack of chips and dip, but what are the health costs? Luckily, if you stay clear from Tex-Mex, the costs may be way lower than you think. Healthy Mexican food is out there, guys, I swear! As long as you stick to fresh and authentic ingredients, there's no need to sweat it- unless that's exactly what you want, then just add more peppers. 

Healthy Mexican food is actually very easy to find (or make).

A side that's often overlooked, but can be one of the most freshest, authentic and healthiest parts of the meal is the salsa. 

corn, vegetable
Hana Ezaldein

Drizzle some homemade, fresh salsa on top of those tacos al pastor for an extra kick, or make it a wet burrito by drenching it on on top. Not that hungry? Have some chips and salsa as a small snack. No choice is wrong, for salsa is the token of all things that is healthy Mexican food. 

Everything in moderation, of course. Also, be mindful of what kind of chips are served with the salsa. Store-bought chips tend to have high sodium, so just read the labels or make them from home.

Regardless, fresh salsa is still a great way to add some healthy Mexican food and flavor to a healthy lifestyle.

Below are the six key salsa ingredients to use for an authentic, delicious and HEALTHY fiesta in your mouth, according to the Livestrong website. 

cherry tomato, cherry, pasture, tomato, vegetable
Caroline Ingalls

Tomatoes

The keystone of any salsa. These red, juicy fruits are packed with vitamin C and E. According to the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, they also carry lycopene— a red pigmented carotene that helps fight prostate, urinary, intestinal and some stomach cancers. Lycopene is also the reason why tomatoes are so red and vibrant.  Dehydrated? Eat a tomato! Ninety-five percent of a tomato's weight is from water.

garlic, vegetable, condiment, relish, herb, onion, elephant garlic
Kristine Mahan
onion, sliced onions, raw onion, knife, cutting board

Onions & Garlic

Both of these ingredients are blood thinners that help prevent against blood clots, strokes, heart attacks and other heart diseases. They increase the good cholesterol while lowering the bad and are also anti-inflammatory foods that decrease symptoms of asthma and arteritis, the inflammation of arteries that can damage blood vessel walls and blood circulation, according to HealthLine.com.

Onions and garlic are also antibacterial foods and help fight bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers.

Maria Daniela Toporek

Lime Juice

Any citrus fruit is packed with vitamin C and limes are no different. Lime juice can help prevent infections as well as increase one's immune system. The citric acid in lime juice also helps prevent kidney stones.

olive oil, herb, tea, oil, rosemary
Jessica Kelly

Olive Oil

Olive oil contains mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that lowers both cholesterol and the risk of cardiac diseases.

green pepper, vegetable, jalapeno, pepper, chili
Spoon University

Jalapeños

Some may fear them, others will devour them whole, but regardless of the choice, jalapeños do wonders for the body.

Jalapeños are filled with vitamin A, which repairs damaged cells and helps maintain healthy eyesight and skin. They're packed in fiber, which helps with digestion and prevents constipation.

Capsaicin is an anti-inflammatory that gives jalapeños their heat and kick. Capsaicin helps increase circulation and releases endorphins. These endorphins fight depression, relieves pain and helps give one "the feeling of well being," said St. Joseph's Health. It also helps increase one's metabolism and fat burning ability.

parsley, herb, cilantro, coriander, vegetable, relish
Gabby Phi

Cilantro

Cilantro is filled with anti-oxidants that fight cancer cells and, according to the LiveStrong website, increase insulin sensitivity amongst diabetic patients. LiveStrong also mentions that anti-bacterial oils in this tasty herb help against listeria, or food poisoning, germs that can cause nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting

So there it is — all the yummy and beneficial reasons to never stop believing in the power of chips and salsa.