Now that it’s finally starting to feel like spring, most of us are more than ready to ditch the hot chocolate and move onto a more refreshing treat: frozen yogurt. While fat-free froyo can be a smart dessert, choosing the wrong toppings can easily turn this sweet snack into a massive calorie bomb. Not sure what to sprinkle on top? Read on to find out which delightful add-ons will be satisfying to both your stomach and your waistline.

Pile It On

Fresh fruit is a no-brainer when trying to craft a nutritious and juicy frozen treat. Though frozen yogurt is usually low-fat or fat-free and contains live and active probiotic cultures, it can be full of added refined sugar. Opting for fresh berries, chopped pineapple, mango slices or any other fresh fruit of your choice is a great way to kick up the fiber count. Make sure not to go overboard, though; fruit still contains plenty of natural sugars.

Healthiest Frozen Yogurt Toppings

Photo by Michelle Laszlo

A Little Goes a Long Way

Some toppings, in moderation, provide a hearty dose of nutrition to standard frozen yogurt. Chopped nuts such as almonds, walnuts and peanuts are rich in healthy fats and taste great when paired with fruit. The extra fat and protein turn a serving of frozen yogurt into a snack that will sustain you for hours. Granola, cereals and cookie crumbles are also sensible indulgences; although these toppings are practically pure sugar, they do pack a lot of flavor when properly portioned. Self-serve shops are ideal because you can monitor how much to sprinkle on top. Do it yourself to make sure your treat remains healthy, or ask your server to go light on the Oreo crumbles.

Healthiest Frozen Yogurt Toppings

Photo by Michelle Laszlo

Proceed With Caution

It is no surprise that candy bar chunks, cookie dough, brownie bites and syrups are the toppings you should skip. Heath Bar, Reese’s, Butterfingers and other candies full of refined sugars and saturated fats instantly pile on hundreds of calories. The exception to the rule: dark chocolate. Rich in antioxidants, it provides a sweet fix without packing on the pounds. Plus, dark chocolate and fruit is a terrific combo.

Healthiest Frozen Yogurt Toppings

Photo by Michelle Laszlo