Hangovers: love ‘em, hate ‘em, can’t live without ‘em (JK, nobody loves them and we could definitely live without them). Once you rack up your vodka shots for the night nothing may be able to help you, not even Pancheros. It’s important to take in the proper foods before going out, not only for your liver but also for your 9 am lecture in MLB the next morning.

Here’s a quick, read-while-standing-in-the-Panera-line guide to reducing the aftermath of last night. The best part? ALL of these items can be found in dining halls and cafes right on campus.

BEFORE:

1.     CARBS

Parisa Soraya

Photo by Parisa Soraya

If you’re not about that carbohydrate life, be about it before drinking. Whether it’s pizza, pasta, or sandwiches, carbs are natural sponges for alcohol and slow down its absorption into our systems. Just make sure to avoid super greasy, fatty foods that could give you stomach aches later during the night.

2.     NUTS

Photo by Parisa Soraya

There’s a reason why nut trays are always placed at bars. Wait what? They’re not there for funsies or decoration? Nah man, nibbling on nuts is a perfect way to get your protein and Vitamin E in to combat alcohol. Salted ones can even help level out high blood sugars later in the evening.

3.     MILK

Skim, chocolate, 2 percent…studies show that even one glass of milk is helpful towards diluting alcohol by coating the inner lining of your stomach and preventing nausea. Plus, ain’t no harm in an extra dose of calcium, right?

AFTER:

1.     EGGS

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Eggs are a breakfast all-star for a reason. These bad boys are packed with a super helpful amino acid called cysteine that quickly breaks down the hangover-causing toxin, acetaldehyde, in our livers. Thank you, omelets!

2.     BANANAS

Parisa Soraya

Photo by Parisa Soraya

You know that feeling of being physically weak after going out? Of course you do. It’s because your muscles get exhausted so quickly from alcohol. No worries, bananas are the perfect fruit to reenergize those nerves due to their insane amount of potassium.

3.     WATER

Duh, duh, duh. Drinking H20 before and after a fun night is the #1 priority to preventing awful hangover symptoms. It combats dehydration and calms that crazy party going on in your stomach.
nike free 5.0
Real talk guys, none of us want pounding hangovers three times a week (or more, if you go HARD). So, from now on, let’s make a pact to eat more pizzas and eggs before and after going out. Cool? Cool.