From Loco’s karaoke Tuesdays  to Pixel’s Thursday night specials and Level B’s fishbowl Wednesdays in between, the Collegetown scene gives students ample opportunity to rage, and have a raging hangover for class the next morning.   No shame, we’ve all been there. And we all know the last thing you want is to start the week sitting in lecture with a pounding headache and queasy stomach. If you are looking to fully participate in weeknight festivities and be able to make it to your 9:05 the next morning, here are a few tips to help you avoid the dreaded morning after

Before you drink:

The number one rule of thumb is to pad that stomach with as much carb and fat-laden food as you like. There’s good reason to go against Mr. Atkins’ advice:  fat slows your body’s absorption of alcohol.

Consider hitting up Wings Over Ithaca or CTP to indulge in pizza, chicken fingers or twice-baked potatoes. Or all of the above.

Grandma's Fried Chicken Wings

Photo by Yau Chan Ho

2. At the event

By the time you get out you’ll probably be around two shots deep and embarrassing your friends trying to get down on the d-floor uncomfortably early. As your night continues, it’s important to alternate your alcoholic beverages with water. Alcohol makes you go to the bathroom more frequently, which leads to dehydration—one of the main causes of hangover symptoms. Take preventative measures and chug a cup of water before grabbing your next can of beer or mixed drink.

Photo by Richard Wanderman

3. The morning after

If you completely ignore everything above and wake up dizzy and aching, have no fear. First, drink lots and lots of water to rehydrate yourself. Then, take a nice shower to reawaken your senses. If you’re feeling ambitious, hit the gym or go on a quick run to sweat it all out. However, if you’re like me and have never used your gym membership, a nice long nap can also do the trick. The last step is to eat a hearty breakfast to soak up the remaining alcohol and restore those lost vitamins.  The only remnants of your previous nights escapades will be the photos you wish didn’t exist.