It's time to accept that Halloween parties just aren't on the menu this year. Instead of grieving a lack of haunted houses and costumes, it's time to get creative to celebrate the holiday at home. Halloween is the perfect time to binge some scary movies, so make a night out of it with a spooky and spectacular meal to set the vibe for a thrilling night. Here are some paired Halloween movies and recipes to plan your holiday.

The Craft

Available to stream on Hulu or rent on Amazon Prime for $3.99.

The Craft is an edgy rendition of teenage angst manifested in the form of witchcraft and revenge. The movie follows four misfit high school girls as they rebel against their Catholic prep classmates through rituals and spells, and warns of the misfortune that can follow those who aren’t careful with their magic. This punk, eccentric movie is best complemented with a fiery Vegan Mapo Tofu that burns your mouth like the flame of feminine defiance burns in a young witches soul. This dish features soft tofu in a spicy sauce that will get your heart racing as if you were summoning Manon. 

Beetlejuice

Available to rent on Amazon Prime for $3.99.

World’s away from your typical Tim Burton Halloween movie, Beetlejuice is an offbeat and comical portrayal of the afterlife featuring a young couple who die unexpectedly. Struggling to cope with life after death, they turn to Beetlejuice for help, a creepy and offensive ghost with questionable motives.

This weird and cynical movie pairs perfectly with a bowl of Hot and Sour Ramen. This ramen is sharp and sour like Burton's humor, with a bright and flavorful broth that could awaken the dead. 

Coraline

Available to stream on Hulu or Starz.

This odd and mysterious movie follows a young girl who moves to a gloomy new town with her workaholic parents. Perpetually bored and looking for adventure, she stumbles upon a strange door that leads her into a hidden world where nothing is as it seems. With mesmerizing animation and a chilling narrative, this movie is equally magical and creepy. This movie deserves a meal just as mystifying and vibrant, which is why I’ve paired it with Squid Ink Pasta with Pumpkin, Sage, and Brown Butter. Rich and full of flavor, this dinner is slightly sweet and very curious, just like Coraline. Look for squid ink pasta at Berkeley Bowl, Berkeley Natural Grocery, or World Market.

Donnie Darko

Available to stream on Amazon Prime (free with ads).

Jake Gyllenhaal plays a disturbed teenager searching for answers about the universe in this dark and twisted portrayal of supernatural forces and the isolation of the teenage mind. This movie twists and turns through surreal depictions of Donnie’s hallucinations and mystifying interpretations of time and space. Surprising and complex, just like the inner workings of Donnie’s mind, this Grilled Eggplant with Ginger Dressing is fresh, savory, and intensely flavorful. Just like the film, this robust meal will definitely leave you wanting more. 

Scream

A classic Halloween slasher film, Scream has all the heart thumping, stomach churning, and jump scares you could ask for in a horror movie. The film follows a high schooler and her friends as they’re terrorized by a masked serial killer on a murder spree in their small town. Scream will have you biting your nails in suspense and grimacing during every graphic encounter with Ghostface. The perfect meal to enjoy with this thriller is a huge serving of Vegetable Dumplings. Warm, tender, and savory, these dumplings are a comforting contrast to the horror of the Scream franchise, but every flavorful bite is just as shocking. Plus, there's no fear of spilling when you're jumping out of your seat every five minutes.

Don't let the lack of festivities get you down as you celebrate Halloween at home this year. Instead, whip up one of these delicious meals to perfectly complement a chilling Halloween movie!