Greek yogurt has been in the game for many years now. But recently I have been blown away by the number of new brands, flavors, and types making it onto the shelves of every grocery store. I often find it very difficult to choose which ones to purchase. When trying to narrow down my options, I first search the nutrition label for what I am truly getting out of this creamy cup of protein. But, one concerning thing I have been noticing lately is the amount of sugar in a serving of greek yogurt.

Now, to be clear, I am not talking about plain greek yogurt. Because honestly, how could anyone eat that anyways? However, I am talking about the fruity flavors. The average flavored greek yogurt has anywhere from 15-20 grams of sugar. Since plain yogurt naturally contains around 4 grams of sugar per serving, we are getting a significant amount of extra sugar that might not necessarily be coming from the fruit mixed in.

Another thing to be mindful of is many companies may market their products as "light" or "lower sugar". But, this typically means there is an added artificial sweetener like sucralose, or sometimes a natural sweetener like Stevia to make up for the sweetness lacking from less total sugar. I typically tend to stay away from products that use sugar substitutes, but many people digest them just fine. 

What are some better options?

The good thing is, you are in luck. There are several companies out there that have created greek yogurt products with less added sugar overall, without including other additives.

Chobani

Chobani has recently released a new line of yogurts they call "A hint of flavor." They offer several flavors including Alphonso Mango, Wild Blueberry, Madagascar Vanilla & Cinnamon, and a few others. These yogurts contain only 9 grams of sugar (with no additives or substitutes), which is substantially lower than their other lines. The flavor is uncompromised, and honestly the Madagascar Vanilla & Cinnamon is one of my favorite yogurts.  

Siggi's

Now, many of you might have heard of Siggi's (their advertisements are frequently played on Spotify) as they proudly emphasize their yogurts contain more protein than they do sugar. If we are being technical, Siggi's is specifically skyr and not greek yogurt. But, skyr is a type of yogurt typically found in Iceland that has a similar consistency to greek yogurt. It also tastes very similar, but is traditionally made with less sugar. Siggi's yogurts vary in their sugar content, but typically range from 5-11 grams. This brand is often a little more pricey, but boasts very few ingredients. 

I am typically able to find Siggi's yogurts at Publix, Target, and Walmart. However, I have found Chobani's new line is not available at all of the grocery stores in my area, so you might have to hunt for it.

DIY

Another great option for a healthier yogurt breakfast is buying a plain greek yogurt and sweetening it on your own. This might include adding some fresh berries, coconut flakes, a drizzle of honey, or a teaspoon of vanilla extract. This is a great option for those looking to use plain greek yogurt in other recipes throughout the week. TIP: Buying the large 32 ounce container can save a few bucks per week versus buying the individual-sized greek yogurt cups. 

Next time you are at the store strolling the long aisle of yogurts, skyrs, quarks, and Go-Gurts, be sure to check the nutrition labels and see how many grams of sugar might be in your favorite yogurt. I'd say it might be worth trying out one of these lower sugar options.