Gluten is a common protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. There are millions of people who have to cut out gluten from their diets because they suffer from Celiac disease, a type of autoimmune disorder. 

Yet there are also millions of people who are interested in cutting out gluten from their diets because they believe it's more healthy. However, going gluten-free when you don't actually need to might not be as healthy as people assume it is. 

According to the University of Wisconsin, those on gluten-free diets may be eating fewer foods containing important nutrients, which could lead to deficiencies in iron and calcium.

Those on gluten-free diets might also have Vitamin B deficiencies because bread and cereals are a major source of that vitamin. Although there is bread that is made with gluten-free flours, they might not be vitamin fortified.

Bread

Free for Commercial Use on Flickr

Although many who switch to a gluten-free diet report that they have lost weight, it might not actually be because of the lack of gluten in their diet. There is no evidence that a gluten-free diet actually leads to weight loss. 

Instead, it is believed that many on gluten-free diets have simply eliminated highly processed foods from their diets and replaced them with fruits and vegetables.

However, one does not need to eliminate gluten from their diet to eliminate highly processed foods. Although many on gluten-free diets eliminate gluten to practice healthier eating, there is no need to eliminate gluten to eat healthier. 

So although there are lots of people who have a legitimate need to eliminate gluten from their diets because of a serious medical condition, it is probably not the best idea for those without Celiac to cut out gluten. It might actually harm your overall health to eliminate gluten and lead to vitamin deficiencies. So eat your bread, it's good for you