Navigating the holidays on a gluten free diet is tricky. You need to constantly check labels (if available) and recognize all the hidden names gluten can take. You might think that Halloween candy is a safe bet. However, gluten finds a way of sneaking into chocolate coatings, as a glucose derivative, or as malt barley. I've complied (and alphabetized, because I'm that kind of girl) two lists of gluten-free Halloween candy—one for chocolate and the other for gummy candies. 

The best advice I can offer is to read the labels each and every time. Companies can change their recipe on a whim with no warning. 

Gluten-Free Chocolates

m&m, sweet, chocolate, candy
Alex Frank

Almond Joy: Chocolate + coconut + almond = classic combination

Baby Ruth: Why aren't these a thing in Canada? 'Cause they sound hella delicious. Peanuts, caramel, and nougat chocolate. Um, yum?

Heath Bar: Since Twix are out of the question, this is a good alternative for the chocolate and caramel lover. 

Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar: I've lived in Belgium, so I'm kind of a chocolate snob. But honestly, the smoothness of Hershey's chocolate bars amazes me. The bar with almonds is also a gluten-free Halloween candy. Just say no to the cookies and creme flavor.

M&M's: Stick with the milk chocolate or peanut varieties. Pretzel and crispy varieties contain gluten ingredients.  

Oh Henry: The only problem with this bar is getting the fudgey-peanuty mess out of your teeth afterwards. 

Reese's PB Cups and Pieces: *Peanut Butter lovers collectively exhale a sigh of relief* Avoid the unwrapped minis and seasonal pumpkin-shaped candies. The seasonal candies don't contain gluten, but are likely processed on machinery that does.

Rolo Caramels: Rolo McFlurries are the best. Normal sized candies are gluten-free, but avoid the cute little mini version; the glucose may have been derived from wheat. 

Skor: Another of my favorite ice cream toppers. Skor pieces on top of trifle or pudding get a little soft and taste amazing.  

Snickers: Snickers took their own twist on the chocolate, caramel, peanut combo by adding a peanut butter nougat base.

York Peppermint Patties: Mint chocolate is perfect. That is all.

3 Musketeers: Did you know the original 3 Musketeers bar had a chocolate section, a vanilla portion, and strawberry portion? Hence the name, '3 Muskateers.'

Gluten-Free Gummy Candies

cream, milk, chocolate, cake, sweet, candy
Lauren Thiersch

Airheads: Intense flavor for the intense personality. Blue raspberry will always have a special place in my heart. 

Dots: Similar to a jujube, but they give your jaw a bigger workout. The original flavors were introduced in 1945, but you can also purchase Tropical and Sour flavors. 

Dubble Bubble: You might think that gum is a safe bet, but some varieties are dusted with wheat

Jolly Ranchers: The best flavor combination ever. Period.

Laffy Taffy: Don't eat the banana-flavored one. It's gluten-free, but tastes like the banana-flavored medicine I had as a child. Don't torture yourself. 

Lemonheads: Lemon may be the classic flavor, but cherry will always be my favorite. 

Lifesavers: "A hole lot of fun." Both the original hard candies and newer gummy candies are gluten-free.

Lollipops: Stick with a good old fashioned lollipop with no filling or weird flavors. 

Mike and Ikes: Did you know that Mike and Ikes are the most popular non-chocolate snack at movie theaters? The Mike and Ike history is actually really interesting. If you need a break from studying, I'd highly recommend doing a bit of research. 

Rockets (Canada)/Smarties (USA): This one confused me. Like, a lot. Rockets in Canada and Smarties in the USA, are the exact same candy, but are called something completely different. 

Skittles: "Taste the rainbow." Do it. 

Sour Patch Kids/Watermelon/Peaches/Cherry: If you've never eaten so many of these candies at one time that your tongue has bled, you haven't lived. 

Swedish Fish and Berries: I am not a gummy candy fan, but I'll make an exception for these guys. 

SweeTARTS: The original hard circular candies are a safe bet and the most likely to show up in your stash. However, if any of the gummy varieties happen to show up, do not eat them. The glucose may have been derived from wheat. 

Tootsie Pops and Rolls: I honestly don't know how to describe the taste of this gluten-free Halloween candy. It's like chocolate, but really sticky? Whatever they are, they're pretty darn tasty. 

WarHeads: I am a sour candy lover and even WarHeads are a little too intense for me. The two kinds you need avoid are Sour twists and Sour Coolers.

Welch's Fruit Snacks: When it comes to gluten free Halloween candy, this is definitely one of the healthier choices. 

Wondering what to do with all your leftover Halloween candy? Try one of these 50 recipes if you can have gluten, or these gluten-free halloween candy cookies