If you live in the Midwest, you definitely know about Culver's. Known for their fried foods, frozen custard, and ButterBurgers (yes, they actually serve a dish called a ButterBurger), Culver's is just as delicious as it sounds. Culver's is basically a state fair open year-round, without the marked-up prices and super-sketchy rides. A midwestern dream come true, if you will. 

If you have Celiac Disease or are avoiding gluten, it may seem as though Culver's indulgent menu is off-limits. With their main menu item being placed on a bun, it can be quite scary to dine here for anyone who doesn't eat gluten. Never fear, Culver's offers a variety of gluten-friendly meals, shakes, and sides.

With some simple modifications, almost everything on the menu can be a gluten-free option. Here's the full run-through of the gluten-free Culver's menu items.

#SpoonTip: Culver's has an entire gluten-free guide that lists all its gluten-free menu items. 

Burgers

Fantastic news: all the ButterBurgers at Culver's can be made gluten-free by asking for a gluten-free bun. There are several variations on the classic ButterBurger, but they all should be safe if you swap out the bun for a gluten-free one. 

However, the Nutrient and Allergen Guide on their website warns that all of their meats are grilled on a surface that is also used to cook items with gluten, so you might want to steer clear if you have a serious allergy. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Salads

I know no one goes to Culver's for the salad. But here's the thing: all of their salads are gluten-free if you order them without croutons, and they come with the same grilled chicken that's served on their grilled chicken sandwiches. 

If you're looking for a healthier option, their salads aren't a bad call. As far as fast-food salads go, they're pretty low in calories and have decently interesting flavor combinations. They do have a substantial amount of sodium, but that's to be expected from anything at a fast-food restaurant. To make them healthier, order the dressing on the side.

As with the burgers, the chicken is grilled on a surface that is also used to cook glutinous items, so proceed with caution if your allergy is severe.

#SpoonTip: The gluten-free salad dressings are bleu cheese, French, honey mustard, ranch, and raspberry vinaigrette. 

Soups

As with the salads, it seems a little strange to order soup at a fast food restaurant. However, it gets pretty cold here in the Midwest during the winter, and sometimes a cozy bowl of soup is exactly what you need. If that's the case for you, there are four gluten-free Culver's soups: George's Chili, Baja Chicken Enchilada, Broccoli Cheese, and Potato Au Gratin. Just make sure you skip the crackers on the side. 

Sides

Here's where things get sad. Some of the most enticing options on the Culver's menu – fries, cheese curds, onion rings – cannot be made gluten-free. The only gluten-free side options are green beans, mashed potatoes (without gravy), a side salad, applesauce, or coleslaw.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of these sides. Instead, supplement your meal with the next, more important item on this list.

Frozen Custard

Besides cheese curds and ButterBurgers, the most famous item on the Culver's menu is their frozen custard. A richer version of ice cream, this stuff is worth a trip to Culver's on its own. Let's be real, what's a trip to Culver's without a huge cup of creamy, thick custard?

All of the flavors are gluten-free, as are most of the toppings and mix-ins. Unfortunately, cookie dough and brownie bites are off the table, but there are still plenty of options. You can order a simple scoop, a shake, or one of their concrete mixers, which is comparable to a DQ blizzard. Arguably, this is the best gluten-free Culver's order.

#SpoonTip: Skip the cone when ordering your custard.

Overall, the Culver's menu is fairly gluten-free friendly. Although you can't get fries or curds, there's a pretty decent range of options that includes some of their most popular menu items. As long as you know how to work the menu, practically any restaurant can suit your food needs. It might just be my midwestern bias, but I'd say Culver's is one of the best fast food restaurants for people with dietary restrictions.