You may best know Ginger Minj, the self-described "glamour toad," for her bubbly and hilarious personality on RuPaul's Drag Race and All Stars. Or perhaps, you best know her from appearing alongside Nina West on Hulu's Drag Me To Dinner as the two prepped their own Tupperware party. Better yet, you may have seen her this past spooky season in Hocus Pocus 2 as Drag Queen Winifred. But now, the famous Florida-born drag queen is sharing life on the stage on the page in her new tell-all memoir/cookbook Southern Fried Sass.

Fans and foodies alike can experience Ginger in a new way, learning how she grew up and turned into the performer she is today through the lens of personal family recipes. From a hearty biscuits and gravy recipe all the way to a whole list of makeup dos and don'ts, this is cookbook writing like you've never seen it before.

About the book, Ginger shared, "It's the most vulnerable thing I've ever done. A lot of people watch Drag Race and think they know who I am but feel like they've gotten the highlights of it, and this fills in all of the gaps. They may know the things that I've done, but this book will help them understand why."

Photo via Ginger Minj

Spoon University had the pleasure of chatting with Ginger Minj ahead of the official Southern Fried Sass November 7 release date about her recipe-filled memoir creation all the way to the necessities in a true-to-form Southern kitchen. Check out the full interview below and make sure to order your edition here or wherever books are sold near you. 

Spoon University: How did you decide writing a cookbook was the next step in the Ginger Minj journey? 

Ginger Minj: Honestly, I didn't decide to write a cookbook. The cookbook came late in the process. After my grandmother passed away, she didn't have a whole lot. So, I inherited her box of recipes. That was her most prized possession. As I was going through the recipes in my house with my mom, my sister, and my aunt, it started all of these memories. 

When we got to some of them, I was like, I've never even heard of this recipe. It would prompt my mom, my sister, and my aunt to start telling me their stories as well. These stories are so universal and they have really shaped me and who I have become. They've really been like my stepping stones to success, so why don't I try to string them together through my life and share that with people? That's how the recipes ended up getting put into my life story.

SU: You shared how you love to host throughout the book. What is a good tip you would offer to someone hosting a dinner party for the first time?

GM: You've got to give yourself a lot of time; time to prepare everything so that you're not flustered at the last minute. And then the other thing to do is just open your door, open your mind, and open your heart. You're inviting these people in, let them lead the dinner, let them lead the experience, let them share the stories, let them talk about the food, let them talk about themselves. You're just there to facilitate their good time.

Photo via Ginger Minj

SU: What cooking utensil(s) or pantry item(s) should every self-respecting Southern cook have in their kitchen at all times?

GM: A rolling pin is very important for every self-respecting Southern cook to have in their kitchen at all times. There's nothing worse than trying to roll something out with one that is too light or uneven. I have one that I got from my mother years ago that is clear plastic and you can fill it with water to make the weight that you need it to be. It is such a lifesaver because if it's a thin dough, you don't want it to be super heavy. But sometimes you get those real dense pie crusts and you need to roll them out so thin so it's nice to be able to put a little bit of extra water in there.

SU: What is the most memorable meal you’ve had while touring or while filming?

GM: I never thought that I would love chicken Tikka Masala until I had no other option but to eat it when I was in Singapore. I love chicken Tikka Masala, but no other one in the world has ever compared to that first bite. It was like it completely unlocked a different part of my palate and it made me start taking more risks. Sounds so dramatic and stupid, but it helped me start taking more risks as far as seasoning goes. Like, it's okay to make it a little bit spicy because, in the South, I think a lot of people tend to think that spice equals heat instead of spice equals flavor, and then it really helps me learn that it could do both.

SU: Do you have a current go-to snack or pre-show meal that you love before going on stage?

GM: Honestly, I do not eat one time in drag just because it feels like it can't move past your chest down into your stomach, so I literally start every day with a bowl of oatmeal, which is the recipe in the book. You can make it like grits, you can make it with anything so you can change it up and not get bored. But I learned that eating a bowl of that every morning really kind of sets me up for success through the rest of the day. And then it doesn't matter how long the show is or how late it is, I'm okay. By the time it's over, I'm not starving.

This interview was edited for length and clarity.