While a flat stomach may represent confidence to some, it also represents health. Scientific studies show that the less belly fat a person has on his or her body, the healthier he or she is. In fact, according to New York University, extra belly fat is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and similar diseases.

So as you and your incredibly ambitious friends begin to hit the gym with the hopes of uncovering your abs before Spring Break, keep in mind that the road to a flat stomach shouldn’t be just for looks, it should be in search of good health as well. Start to work these five wonder foods into your diet, as they have immense health benefits that will help eliminate harmful belly fat. Oh yeah, and they are tasty, too.

But everything in moderation…

1.) Nuts

Fat

Photo by Jennifer Cao

If you ever find yourself helplessly scooping peanut butter out of the jar, then you’re going to love this one. Nuts are a great source of protein and fiber that help aid in fat burn. Fiber fills up your stomach, making you feel full quickly and maintains this feeling of satiety by slowing down the movement of food out of your stomach. In fact, scientists believe that nuts have properties that prevent fat from forming on your stomach. So when you’re hungry for a snack, grab some peanut butter fudge you made the night before or even a spoonful of homemade peanut butter.

2.) Berries

Fat

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Berries – blueberries in particular – contain antioxidants that help burn belly fat. Furthermore, they are very low-carb and low-calorie yet very sweet all at the same time, making them a healthy sugary treat. Just like nuts, berries are loaded with fiber so you get the sweetness without the guilt. But what would make these little ones even better? Sprinkle some cinnamon and Truvia on top and nosh on them like that or even layer them on top of a whole wheat English muffin in the morning. Your stomach will thank you.

3.) Green Tea

Fat

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Green tea contains caffeine and antioxidants called catechin. Caffeine has been shown to boost one’s metabolism and has the catechin called Epigallocatechin gallate. Epigallocatechin gallete has been shown to boost the effects of fat burning hormones like norepinephrine according to AuthorityNutrition. So science jargon aside, green tea is fat dissolution in a cup. Now that’s something your morning cup o’ joe can’t do. Good thing green tea makes a great coffee substitute!

4.) Eggs

Fat

Photo by Jennifer Cao

One of the main reasons why eggs help burn fat is because they contain a lot of protein. When you increase your protein intake, your metabolism rises. This is because your body must use more energy to digest the protein. Ultimately, your body burns more calories and fat as it digests the protein. But if there was one word that perfectly describes eggs, it’s “versatile.” In fact, according to the University of Michigan, you can eat eggs for every meal and it’s not weird at all. Scramble away!

5.) Dark Chocolate

Fat

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Dark chocolate – no, wait, give it a second – is a delicious treat that can be very fibrous. New research even suggests that dark chocolate has anti-inflammatory properties that helps prevent bloating in your gut. However, some food companies have a tendency to load dark chocolate with sugar, which will sabotage our goal here. You want to eat dark chocolate – not milk chocolate, which is loaded with sugar. Sorry, but it might be time to part ways with the Hershey’s bar you keep stashed away in your pantry. Replace that sucker with a bar that is 70% cocoa or higher – the more cocoa, the better it is for you.