The best way to get a broke university student’s attention is probably with the words “free” and “food”.

Whether you’re a first-year trying to stretch out your last few flex dollars or an off-campus student living off of frozen pizza, here are some tips I’ve collected over the years on how to make the most of the spare change in your wallet.

Hospitality Services

discount

Photo by Karen Tran

Look no further than our own lovely campus for savings. If you didn’t already know, UoG hospitality has stamp-card reward programs for fruit, breakfast, coffee, and European beverages at all food places on campus. Just ask the cashier for a card and earn a stamp from each of your purchases. When you get 10 stamps, your next purchase is free.

Keep an eye out for special promotions like double-stamp days to earn rewards faster. Stay up to date with Hospitality Services on their Facebook page for all their weekly deals.

Free Food in the University Centre

discount

Clubs are always trying to tempt students with free popcorn and cotton candy. Lurk in the U/C during breaks between classes and you might be lucky enough to snag some free samples whenever a fair rolls around.

Shopper’s Drug Mart

discount

Photo by Karen Tran

Select Shopper’s Drug Mart locations in Guelph offer a student discount that coincides with their senior’s day discount. Receive 20% off regular-priced items (including groceries) on Thursdays upon presentation of a student card and an Optimum card, which you can get for free.

Metro

discount

Photo by Cherie Mak

Get 10% off your purchase when you grocery shop on Tuesdays and Wednesdays by showing your student card to the cashier. Don’t forget to earn even more by collecting Air Miles rewards. Sign up for a free card here.

Look out for meat, bakery, and other products that have prices reduced for quick sale. These products are often about to expire soon, but it will be fine if you freeze them or just eat it soon.

Zehr’s

discount

Photo by Karen Tran

Similar to Metro’s student deal, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, get 10% off your purchase when you show your student card to the cashier. Look for the quick-sale stickers for soon-to-expire products as well.

They also have a loyalty rewards membership program in which you can earn points on in-store purchases and redeem them for discounts on your groceries. Get the details here.

No Frills

discount

Photo by Karen Tran

Earn PC Plus points on groceries you buy often and redeem them for a few dollars off your bill.

Sweet Temptations

discount

Photo by Cheryl Ching

Visit this cupcakery on Tuesdays for a student discount of 10% off your order.

Bulk Barn

discount

Photo by Karen Tran

Show your student card for 10% off your purchase every Wednesday when you stock up on snacks.

Loyalty Reward Cards

discount

Photo by Karen Tran

Many chain stores will offer free membership to their rewards program or e-mail list. The rewards vary but most establishments will offer a free birthday drink and/or other benefits.

Reusable Mugs

discount

Photo by Karen Tran

Most beverage establishments such as Starbucks or Tim Horton’s will have a 10-cent discount on your drink order if you bring in your own travel mug (store-brand or other). Other places might have a deal where you’re able to fill your large-sized mug for the small-sized price.

It may not seem like a lot, but your daily coffees certainly add up (in the landfill and in your wallet).